Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Campaign 2006: It's Over

The campaign of 2006 has come to a close. And not a minute too soon. If I had heard another campaign ad that claimed the opponent was a liar, cheater, thief, adulterer, bigot, satan worhiper, or Lucifer himself, I think I would have self-combusted.

Yes, it's over and now the election process begins. Now it's time to vote. Now it's time to choose which liar, cheater, adulterer, bigot, satan worshiper, or Lucifer, you want to cast your vote for. Unless of course, you are too apathetic to cast one.

I don't mean that to be critical, because I feel apathetic too.


I will vote because I want to bitch. It is often said that if you don't vote, you can't bitch. Well, I am here to tell you that there are scores of people that bitch and don't vote. But I will vote and I will bitch, until the next time I vote and then bitch.

It's a never ending cycle.

This year is unique. (Sarcasm)

We are having a referendum on Bush and the war in Iraq, which is the same thing we had in 2002 and 2004. Nothing else is new, just how the Democrats have a bunch of plans.

What are they? Your guess is as good as mine.

There are the usual suspects in all of this.

There are those that are praying and hoping for a Democratic victory. They want to send a message to the evil and satanic George Bush. They want the "no plan" Dems to take their plans to Washington and fix everything that they have been screaming is wrong with this administration, for the last 5 years. (Sad part is, they really believe they will do it.)

Then there are those that are saying, "stay the course", although not necessarily in those words now. They claim everything is just hunky-dory. Just keep voting the do-nothing GOP back in, we will see results. Someday. (But not now.) These are people that do not want to look or act disloyal in a time of war.

So they stay the course. They trumpet the cause without much thought about the course being predictable and needing some tweaking.

Then, there are those like me that want change, but want to know what that change is going to be. We are people that do not want change for change's sake. Not all change is good. Unless it includes real substance, it's probably just a promise that will not be kept. A promise that is made to get elected, and nothing more.


We want real change for real results, not just some idiotic slogan or talking points quip designed to dupe the masses into believing that change is going to come.

So what's going to happen?

I can safely predict, there is an election being held and it's being held to choose the lesser of the two evils, as it always is.

I can say with a certain certainty that there will be disputed results, recounts, and maybe even some court challenges.

I can say that half the country will be happy with the results and the other half will not (whenever those results do become known).

I can say that some of you that read PYY will not be happy, and some of you will. I just cannot say for sure who it will be, right now. But someone will gloat when the results are finally known and certified, others will either mourn the results or become angry.

As for me, I will not be happy either way.

I will not be happy until the borders are made more secure and are under much better control. This has got to stop or we are going to be in great danger when a terrorist (with a plan) gets through and carries it out. It's going to get really bad, when the illegal population explodes and they crash the healthcare system, as well as break the bank of the government because they are below the poverty line (by our standards).

I will not be happy until social security is made solvent. The way it is now, I won't get much after years of contributions towards my grandparents' and parents' retirements. I will come up short because there won't be enough contributing, if and when, I get old enough to retire with my fellow baby boomer cohorts.

I will not be happy until there is a comprehensive policy on China. We are watching the early signs of a new age of mercantilism develop and China will become a formiddable foe, both militarily and economically within the next decade. And if we ignore the situation now, we will pay dearly later.

I will not be happy until I see better decisions made in the war on terror. As for Iraq, someone needs to give the Iraqi government a nudge and insist on better cooperation and/or results. Someone needs to re-evaluate some approaches and make some corrections, to facilitate a more independent course for the Iraqi people.

I will not be happy until all thiefs, cheats, and bribe-takers are all thrown out of office and are in jail or until all liars are voted out. (That will include about 75% of who gets elected today.)

I will not be happy until we have some real leadership, some real statesmen (and women). Too many are out for the power and for themselves, very few are there for the people they represent. Most of those we will elect today cannot not lead a group of starving Ethiopians, to a buffet table.

Until these things come to pass, I cannot get excited about anyone winning, anything.

2 comments:

A.C. McCloud said...

And not a moment too soon. Of course, if the elections are close we'll have to deal with weeks of recounts and fraud allegations.

The burning question is..will Sean Hannity change the intro of his show to... "only 729 days left till judgment day.." ;-)

LA Sunset said...

AC,

//"only 729 days left till judgment day.." ;-)//

Somehow I think it may sound more like:

"only 729 days left until redemption"

;)