Saturday, August 18, 2007

Another Blast From The Past

When I think about the many artists I have bought more than one album from, one of the first that come to mind is The Alan Parsons Project. Anyone, who knows a little about the progressive rock genre, knows that Alan Parsons' resume is a mile long. From his work with the Beatles to his work with the Hollies and Pink Floyd, he has been one of the great musical engineering geniuses of our time.

The first song I remember hearing on the radio was one that I thought sounded very much like the Atlanta Rhythm Section. In fact the first time I heard it, I thought it was their newest hit. But I soon found out differently and later found APP to be one of the more versatile groups of the late 70s and early 80s. The instrumentation in his songs are second to none, and includes a variety of different instruments to produce one of the more unique sounds ever in the history of rock music.

Their first hit (from the I, Robot album) is one I think many of you that are my age will recognize. Here is I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You:



From the same album comes one of my favorites. It is the song that immediately follows on the LP. Here is Some Other Time:



Here is a song off of the Eve album that didn't get much airplay, it is a catchy little tune that really accentuates the unique talent and versatility of AP. In some sense it has a little early sixties melody. Here is Winding Me Up:



At the height of their popularity, APP was known as a studio band. I cannot ever remember a live tour, when they were at the pinnacle of their success. Not until after they fell off of the musical radar screen did they decide to do live gigs. Here is a live version from the 2004 tour. It includes two songs, one you'll recognize as the musical piece played during the introduction of the Chicago Bulls, Sirius/Eye In The Sky:



Enjoy.

2 comments:

A.C. McCloud said...

Good stuff. I ran across a live version of "Games People Play" awhile back, and was stunned at how good they were and also how old they were.
It must have been from the same 2004 tour.

LA Sunset said...

AC,

//I ran across a live version of "Games People Play" awhile back, and was stunned at how good they were and also how old they were.//

Ahhh, but we are all getting old, my friend. You and I are as old as we've ever been, no?

I thought about using the Games People Play video, but decided to go with more obscure ones. Can't use them all when they have so many great songs.