Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Few Words On The Loss Of Ted Kennedy

Bottom feeders who wish people on the opposite side of the political fence would drop dead are some of the most pathetic of all human beings. Wanda Sykes is one of those people, for saying publicly that she wished Rush Limbaugh's kidneys to fail. And I cannot count how many times commenters on the Daily Kos and HuffPo have wished George Bush and Dick Cheney an untimely death. Maybe there are some weak attempts at humor in some instances, but they are not funny in the least.

Here at PYY, we do not engage in that kind of deplorable conversation. We certainly don't have near the readership that many on the web who propagate that kind of hateful speech have. But if that is what it takes, that is fine with me. It just isn't going to happen here. Because at this stage in our existence, we don't have anything to be ashamed of in our endeavors. We have no regrets and we wish for none in the future.

I have been no fan if Ted Kennedy, ever. I did not agree with much of anything he stood for and had strong opinions about his conduct one night many years ago, when a young woman lost her life while being with him. But, when I learned of Sen. Edward Kennedy's brain cancer, I decided that PYY would not pile on and would take no glee in his situation. It is not within any part of who I am.

Cancer of anything, in anyone, is not funny and is not to be celebrated. The death of anyone is not to be celebrated either. So, today, I take no pleasure in Sen. Kennedy's death and truly wish his grieving family finds solace in each other, and whatever reasonable resources accessible to them.

Whatever regrets he may have had about anything in his life (if any) is between him and God. I truly believe in the scripture found in Romans 10:13, which says clearly: For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. None of us here on the earth can say for sure. But he is now departed from this world and his loss to his family is what saddens me the most. I wish peace and comfort be given to them in this time of grief.


9 comments:

~Leslie said...

Sunsett, I am so glad you wrote this and it is a prime example of why I like reading your blog. I feel the same way as you and agree with what you have said here.

No one should be celebrating in this man's death. We shall all stand before God at some point and we should be humble enough to realize that none of us are perfect. I did not agree with Sen. Kennedy, but I have no right to judge where he is today, nor what his stance with God was or is; and no one else has this right either.

Thank you for being upstanding on this issue.

Z said...

Beautifully said, Sunsett, and important.

There will be journalists writing things we disagree with regarding Kennedy, they are already, but the man's died and we can only hope he will rest in peace and that his family finds peace in their grief.

I must say that man showed great courage and strength in his illness...very admirable.

Chuck said...

Agreed LA.

I too have strong opinions on his actions and believe he should have paid for what he did with that young lady. It was a selfish and cowardly act.

With that said, I do not wish this cancer on anyone. To do so is sad and inhumane.

Also, I agree with Z that he did carry himself with dignity at the end. For as little as I respected him throughout his life, I was impressed with how he dealt with his illness.

While I also do not agree with his politics, I have to be impressed that he continued the fight until the end when he could have easily quit a year ago and retired quietly. Whether I agree with someone's policies or not, I do respect determination.

In the end, he has to meet his maker on his own and it is not for the rest of us to judge.

I wish him and his family peace.

LA Sunset said...

//Thank you for being upstanding on this issue.//

You are so welcome, Leslie. And thank you for your readership.

LA Sunset said...

//I must say that man showed great courage and strength in his illness...very admirable.//

Yes he did. All of us face an uncertain future. We all would do well to be accepting of it, as we cannot change it.

I just ask God to give me every day I have coming to me and not a day more or less.

LA Sunset said...

//I too have strong opinions on his actions and believe he should have paid for what he did with that young lady. It was a selfish and cowardly act.//

I suspect his drinking was a symptom of the pain and guilt he must have felt throughout his life. But like you, I think he should have had more earthly consequences.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

I get more sick when I see despicable statements from the right, than the left. I have come to expect the lowest of the low from the left, but for the most part the right takes the higher road. I am sure there are exceptions.


I will say, I gag every time I see the meme "Lion of the Senate" next to his name, but his death and my feelings for his politics have nothing to do with each other.

No gloating here on death. I may make an exception for Osama Bin Laden as I did for Saddam Hussein.

Good post.

LA Sunset said...

//I have come to expect the lowest of the low from the left, but for the most part the right takes the higher road. I am sure there are exceptions.//

I think the left proportionately has far more younger people, therefore the immaturity of the voices exacerbates the ugliness and crass attitudes. Why else would shows like Keith Olbermann lead in the under 30 demographic?

But as many of these people get older, at least some of them may have some life experiences that will alter their thinking a bit. They may see the pain and suffering that goes with loss and hopefully will not be as quick to act so crudely, as they do when they wish for calamities to befall people they disagree with.

Z said...

"I just ask God to give me every day I have coming to me and not a day more or less."
The comforting thing is He knows exactly when we're out of here...the 'real healing'.......
It's humbling and sweet to share this with you, LA, and you know what I"m talking about xxx (Mr Z's Bday is tomorrow, I hope you can come by xxx. I wish you could REALLY come by...with Leslie and Chuck and the rest of our amazing bunch of blogger buddies!