Saturday, July 19, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

In the summer of 1970, yours truly was in his teenybopper stage of development. But believe me, I was far from a fan of the Archies. AM radio still played music while FM was just starting to get its foot in the door, and there was an evolutionary renaissance of music beginning to take hold in the music world.

Spending a lot of time at the local American Legion pool (where there was a jukebox strategically stationed), these were a few of the songs I loved to hear and waited for with a good deal of anticipation.

This one made it to #3 on the Billboard chart. Here is a great pool song for winking at the girls. This one was sang by Tony Orlando & Dawn, it was simply named Candida:



Another great song that reminds me of that pool was this tune by Freda Payne, entitled Band Of Gold:



Some of the folk music of that era became more mainstream and made some excellent crossover pop songs. Melanie was one artist that was able to make that transition well. Here is her 1970 hit, Lay Down:



The next artist was the lead singer for Paul Revere and the Raiders. Here is a 1970 solo project by Mark Lindsay, that got its share of playing time. The song is Arizona:




Enjoy.



2 comments:

A.C. McCloud said...

Good selections, LA. My brother had the Melanie album.

I particularly liked the audiences in the Freda Payne and Melanie videos. Does it seem like the music today is more polarizing than it was back then, or am I just imagining it?

LA Sunset said...

//Does it seem like the music today is more polarizing than it was back then, or am I just imagining it?//

You are not imagining it.

When Motown was big, we never heard lyrics like "dust my homey on the street", nor did we hear the "n" word used so pervasively. When the Beatles were singing about peace, love, and understanding, there were no lyrics about suicide, death, and destruction.

I never heard these things when I was young. If they were around, I didn't hear them.