Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Functional Identity Crisis Of America?

If you haven't guessed by now, my favorite essayist on the internet today is Victor Davis Hanson. It's not because his essays help me post something on days that otherwise would be slow or days that I am extra busy.

Believe me, he does make it easy for me when those things happen. But the real reason I like him, he makes so much damned sense.

His latest hits the nail right on the head again. It should cause our elected leaders, as well as those the vote for them, to think about the direction America has taken and appears to be headed again in this election cycle. Granted, not many will read his wisdom and if they do, they will not heed his advice. But know this, their lack of interest in what he has to say does not mean his words are any less true.



2 comments:

Greg said...

Lawyer bashing! :)

I found this line particularly insightful:

Our top graduates opted for Wall Street, insurance, law, journalism and academia. Why not, when laws made it more conducive to invest and trade, but harder and less lucrative to build, drill, farm and manufacture

It's true.

Like you, LAS, whenever I read VDH I feel like he's expressing what I've been feeling, only in a more articulate manner than I could do, and put in the context of historical facts that I don't understand as well. Not a day passes that I don't think (usually as I watch the international news) how lucky I am to be an American. I tell my daughter almost every day as well.

LA Sunset said...

//Like you, LAS, whenever I read VDH I feel like he's expressing what I've been feeling, only in a more articulate manner than I could do, and put in the context of historical facts that I don't understand as well.//

VDH has probably forgotten more about history than I may ever know.