Saturday, August 14, 2010

Another Blast From The Past

Hopefully. I will get finally get a small measure of closure from my best friend's recent death tomorrow, when we will attend his memorial service. There was no funeral, so there hasn't been an opportunity for his family and friends to comfort one another. We have had to continue with our daily lives and somehow manage to cope with the thoughts, the memories, and most of all the pain.

For some reason, I have always been one who people seek out when they are troubled, the one they speak to when they are grieving. I always seem to know what to say because I became acquainted with grief as a young man. It's nothing I do, the words just seem to come naturally. And if only for a little while, they usually seem to feel a little better.

It's not going to be easy this time around, for I am not sure I will know what to say. Maybe it will be my time to seek comfort by just being in the presence of the many who will miss him.



The love will fill the room. The people will mourn and they will comfort each other. But at some point, the time will pass and they will all go back home to start the process of picking up the pieces and resuming their lives. The service will be over, but the grief will linger.

But it will get better with time. If we are patient and steadfast, it always does.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best to you and to your friend's family.

Semper Fi

LASunsett said...

Thank you sir.

A.C. McCloud said...

Sorry for your loss LA. I know the words will come to you..

AC.

LASunsett said...

They probably will AC. But it's going to be a tough day. The guy was like a brother to me.

Thank you for your kind words.

Z said...

My heart really goes out to you and his family, LA...and prayers for just what you want to say. xxx

LASunsett said...

Z, it was tough. But we made it.

Thanks.