Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Specter Of Hypocrisy

As most of us know by now, Sen. Arlen Specter has changed parties.

Big whoop.

Without a doubt, it has caused a few jaws to drop. But I fail to see why anyone would be surprised. Along with RINOs Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins the Senators from Maine, he voted for the Obama shopping spree that effectively put my five-year old grandson into debt.

Specter has been left-leaning for longer than many people realize. He replaced a Rockefeller Republican named Richard Schweiker and like former U.S. Senator Lowell Weicker from Connecticut, he has historically voted moderate to liberal -- all the while retaining the Republican label.

So when Specter, Snowe and Collins all chose to vote for one of the worst pieces of legislation in the history of the United States of America, it validated what many have already believed to be true. It showed who they really were and confirmed that they are not to be counted on to uphold good fiscal policy.

Let me say, it doesn't irritate me that Specter changed parties. Others have done so before him, and I suspect that others will do so again in the future. But what does bother me is the way he went about it. He has tried to make it clear, by saying his change of heart is about principle, not politics. And that would be okay, if I thought he could be believed.

Here's why I don't believe him:

In a March 17th interview, he denied having any plans to change parties:



He claimed he was concerned about preserving the balance of power. But when he realized that he could not win a primary fight, he sold out his affiliation very quickly and seemingly did it without any regard for his previous statements and denials.

Another flashback tells the story of Specter. Some of you may remember that he was highly critical of Jim Jeffords for bailing out on the GOP, back in 2002.

Now that Arlen Specter has stunned Washington by switching parties, it's instructive to take a look back at Specter's own reaction with Sen. Jim Jeffords bolted from the GOP to give Democrats a majority in 2002.

Ironically, Specter proposed a rule change to prevent Jeffords' actions from being repeated.

"I intend to propose a rule change which would preclude a future recurrence of a Senator's change in parties, in mid-session, organizing with the opposition, to cause the upheaval which is now resulting," Specter said. "[I]t is my view that the organizational vote belongs to the party which supported the election of a particular Senator."

But similarly instructive is Specter's emotional response to Jeffords' decision, a response that indicates Specter was well aware of the damage he would do to his party with his own switch.

"For 13 years, Jim Jeffords has been one of my closest friends in the Senate and he still is," Specter said on the floor of the Senate. "We have had lunch together every Wednesday for years….He had never given any hint to me of such a move."


He wanted to change the rules after Jeffords left at such a critical juncture. But today, when it's he that wants to pull a stunt like this, he doesn't even blink an eye.

After putting the March interview alongside this little tidbit, it clearly shows me that he is no different than any other hypocrite I have ever seen, heard, or known.
Why is hypocrisy such a despicable trait, in my book? Well, let's consider this little quote from the late Hannah Arendt:

What makes it so plausible to assume that hypocrisy is the vice of vices is that integrity can indeed exist under the cover of all other vices except this one. Only crime and the criminal, it is true, confront us with the perplexity of radical evil; but only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core.


Hits the nail hard, doesn't it? Because it demonstrates a motive, an intention, and a conscious decision. It's not a mistake in judgment, it comes from an impure mind and heart. It is greatly motivated by self-interest.

How about this one from Raisa Gorbachev?

Hypocrisy, the lie, is the true sister of evil, intolerance, and cruelty.


(Ouch.)

So if lies and other forms of deceit are by-products of hypocrisy, why do we tolerate such radically evil character (especially when it is demonstrated so openly)?

Who knows?

But the last laugh may yet be on Mr. Specter.

A Quinnipiac University poll shows Tom Ridge as a formidable candidate in the general election, before any campaigning starts. To which I can only say: Run Tom, run.



(HT on the Ridge Poll -- Chuck Thinks Right)


9 comments:

Chuck said...

I think he screwed himself. The political sharks smell blood in PA. Dem challengers have a ready made campaign in that he's really a "republican" and how can he be trusted? If he somehow wins the tough primary fight and faces a popular Ridge, he'll be damaged goods with a lot of question marks. I think it's unlikely he's still in the Senate after January 2011. Good riddance.

Anonymous said...

I find nothing intolerable about someone who changes parties, particularly when, through the course of time, people do tend to change in political alignment. Among the people, I think it is an enlightened citizen/voter who is able to vote for a candidate he or she feels is the best person for the job, irrespective of party. For example, I thought former Senator Zell Miller behaved well when he remained a Democrat, but could not in good conscience support his party’s nominee for the presidency. Mr. Miller resigned his good office in the Senate; in doing that, I think he demonstrated an exceptionally high level of integrity.

Arlen Specter is not an honorable man, in my opinion. It does not surprise me that Mr. Specter would shift parties (he’s done it before), only that anyone else is surprised. He is not dishonorable because he can no longer abide the GOP … he is dishonorable because his shift in party alliance has nothing to do with principle, and everything to do with winning reelection. And my friends, this is exactly THE PROBLEM with our elected officials. They are not in Washington DC for we the people; they are in Washington DC for themselves.

If I saw Arlen Specter standing across the street and on fire, I wouldn’t walk over to piss on him.

Greg said...

Here's one example of why I'll never join a political party.

I judge each politician individually, and Specter has always been a weasly little piece of shit. At the beginning of his career, he defended a ruthless murderer and helped him abscond to Europe by using his reputation to convince the court his client should keep his passport. And at the end of his career, he's come full circle by defending islamic terrorists. So, fuck you, Arlen Specter.

Rocket said...

I agree with Greg. Spector is a a scumbag asshole. He helped the Human enzyme flee the US by his "naivete" Then to get the dickhole out of France took years.

As for Einhorn having fooled the entire Philadelphia community as the liberals like to argue now, all I can say is "caveat emptor" So I have not sympathy for these people who lost money under Madoff either.

They're all from the same cut. They get what they deserve.

LA Sunset said...

//I think he screwed himself.//

I think you are right, and he did the moment he decided to vote for the sausage fry labeled "stimulus".

LA Sunset said...

//he is dishonorable because his shift in party alliance has nothing to do with principle, and everything to do with winning reelection.//

I don't even have a problem, if he would just come out and say that he did for re-election. What burns me up is he claims it's principle when it's not.

LA Sunset said...

Greg and Rocket,

I had totally forgotten about the Ira Einhorn case and that Specter was his attorney. Now he REALLY irritates me.

Anonymous said...

Whoa!

How come Greg gets to say bad words, but you rat me out to my mom?

Eric Cartman
SPE

LA Sunset said...

//How come Greg gets to say bad words, but you rat me out to my mom?//

Because you are a little communist puke, and the rest of us here are adults. When you have adequately paid your dues, you too will be allowed to cuss around the rest of us. Until then, take out the damned garbage and clean up that pig sty you call a room, before your mom gets home.