Saturday, December 05, 2009

Another Blast From The Past

Roland Orzabel and Curt Smith put out some great tunes in the 80s.

In 1991, they split.

In 2004, they reunited. During the down time, they both continued to record and only one was reasonably successful.

I think they were one of the better artists to come out of the 80s and I still like hearing their distinctive sound today. This week, we look at Tears For Fears.

The first tune up was off of their first release in 1983, called The Hurting. Adam Lambert from American Idol (the freak who got banned from ABC for stinking up the AMA's recently) tried to do it justice during his competition. I thought it was nothing more than a cheap imitation, myself.

This performance from 2006 is really quite awesome. Check it out:



This next one is from 1989. It comes from the same concert as the last song and is a jazzy little tune that is a signature tune that still gets a lot of airtime, on soft rock and adult contemporary stations everywhere:



Finally, here is one from 2004's reunion CD. This one sounds like it could have been a song from the Abbey Road album. Two songs in one, interwoven and carefully blended to produce a very versatile outcome:



Enjoy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this CD, but of course my son rolls his eyes and is ashamed.

Go figger ...

Mustang

LA Sunset said...

I feel your confusion.

My son and daughter both will call me and ask me who sang a song from my era now and then. I will then ask them, why? And did they like it? They'll say yes and then go back to listening to Nickleback, Godsmack, and other communist bands of this era.