I have to say that there's still some level of shock still being felt in Indiana over Evan Bayh's stunning announcement yesterday. I mean this guy has made more news in the last 24 hours than he did his entire career. And.... he has the country asking the questions that we here at PYY and other blogs have been asking all along.
If you haven't been here before, you may not be aware that I ran this piece awhile back, called On Notice: Evan Bayh. In it, I describe how I once thought I knew the Senator but how I found out that I really didn't think I did.
So as you may guess, there are a lot of thoughts running rampant right now. Here are some that I have heard..... and some that are my own:
1. Why didn't he make this known sooner... when the bad legislation was being handled? On several occasions, he had a chance to take better control of the debate and possibly get more cooperation from the other Blue Dogs. They had to know the bills being forced down our throats were crap.
2. He must really be angry to have left the party so high and dry. With the deadline only 24 hours from his announcement, he left the Dems in a major panic. They were just as floored as the rest of us were, but they were the one who suffered the damage... much worse than us.
3. He may truly be sincere about wanting to leave for the right reasons. I am not usually apt to trust politicians, but who knows?
4. If he is doing this for the right reason, he could help the country by getting a message out there for the remainder of his term, and beyond.
5. He'll never leave the Democratic Party, mainly because of his father. But I wonder, would he consider working for TEA Party causes as a Democrat? I doubt it. But that's the only thing that has a chance of rendering some kind shift back to common sense.... anytime soon.
6. As a disenfranchised Democrat who embraces the values of common sense accounting, other centrist Democrats may feel more liberty to buck the progressive power base..... without becoming a member of the GOP. (Plus: Since the TEA Party is not about political party, he could really help on the solutions end of the problems. He's not dumb.)
7. Some people may be thinking that Coats had some inside information, which is why he so suddenly jumped into the GOP race, just before the big news.
8. I am not supporting Coats. I will work in the primaries as a Republican for whoever adopts the ideology of following the Constitution, and nothing but the Constitution. He will be the one who believes in termlimits and states' rights. I will not support Coats because he has been working as a lobbyist and represents the old guard GOP establishment. And if that isn't enough, he doesn't even live here.
9. All of this could be wrong. He may have read my "On Notice" post and realizes that LA Sunsett was ready to work against him.... feverishly. But I doubt it.
So there you have it folks, I wrote this as a public service to you all. To those who are far removed from the area, I am your source... your man on the street pounding the pavement to get you these bits of hard data.This is why we have become most trusted name in Indiana political news and one of the most reviled.
We are PYY.