Thursday, December 22, 2005

Colts Coach Tony Dungy Loses Son In Apparent Suicide

From the AP comes this sad news.

By now, most people that know who Tony Dungy is, has heard of the apparent suicide of his oldest son, James. It's hard to know what to think when anyone takes their own life, but it is even more confusing, when a young person does it. And I can honestly say that as a parent, I can think of no worse tragedy than to lose a child, and lose them under these circumstances and so close to Christmas.

What's even more puzzling is how something like this could happen to as fine a person, as Tony Dungy. Many that know him and know of him would say that you couldn't find a better person than him. I can't think of one negative thing to say about him. To start with, he is one of the more likable people, you could ever meet. Although he is an NFL coach with star-power, he is never condescending or arrogant when mingling with the public. You could not ask for a nicer human being. He is a father, husband, and all-around role-model, who just happens to be a football coach.

So, please keep this gentleman and his family in your thoughts and prayers, in the coming days, as they grieve the loss of a very dear member of their family. It happens everyday to other good people. But we don't really think about it, unless it's someone we know or someone in the public eye.

I have an eighteen year old son and I know that I would be in great sorrow and great pain, if this would happen to him. I do not know exactly how it would feel, but as I remember losing my younger brother when he was just sixteen. That was bad enough as a young twenty year old man. And I firmly believe, that grief I felt then, would only be the tip of the iceberg, if it were my child or my wife's child.

And, it is my firm belief that if were it not for the grace of God, it very well could be. For this reason, I have much cause to be thankful, in spite of the meager hardships (or better yet, inconveniences) I may have to endure, throughout my life.

So, one of my Christmas wishes is this:

May the true God of peace be with all of those that have lost a dear loved one, this Christmas season.

2 comments:

All_I_Can_Stands said...

LA, we have something in common beyond political persuasion. My oldest son is also 18. We are thankful for his life as a year ago he flipped a car and walked away with just a few scratches.

I know many who truly know the meaning of suffering and am thankful for being spared such sorrow thus far. Good point that our troubles are really mere inconveniences.

G_in_AL said...

Merry Christmas LA. I will see you after the Holiday.