Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Germany Releases Hezbollah Member

From the IHT comes this article. Here is an excerpt:

Germany has secretly released a Hizbollah member jailed for life for killing a U.S. Navy diver and returned him to Lebanon despite an extradition request from the United States, Lebanese political sources said on Tuesday. They said Mohammad Ali Hammadi, convicted of killing Navy diver Robert Dean Stethem during the 1985 hijacking of a TWA flight diverted to Beirut and sentenced to life without parole, was flown back to the Lebanese capital last week.

This is how Merkel wants to repair damage done to the USA-German relationship, by Schroeder?

4 comments:

gandalf said...

lasunsett

I am sorry to post off topic but I wanted to wish you and yours all the joys of Christmas and I hope you all get the Christmas you want

LA Sunset said...

Well, thank you Gandalf. And a Merry Christmas to you, my friend.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

While I have nothing to base it on, my gut feeling is that this was not decided by Merkel. Maybe Shroeder started the ball rolling on this before he left or the German "justice department" did this without her knowledge or to spite her??

The IHT article points to a german hostage in Iraq released a few weeks ago, but that this had nothing to do with it. Hmmm. Not enough data, but I smell a rat.

LA Sunset said...

AICS,

I smell the same rat.