Saturday, December 16, 2006

More Evidence Pointing To Prosecutorial Misconduct In Duke Rape Case

I have been covering this case on and off, for a while now. And with this new revelation, I have to say that this is looking like there needs to be a full, all-out investigation on the tactics employed by Mike Nifong.

Read this.

The head of a private DNA laboratory said under oath today that he and District Attorney Mike Nifong agreed not to report DNA results favorable to Duke lacrosse players charged with rape.

You can read the rest if you want. I did, and I have to say that this is looking like these kids are going to have a case for a blatant violation of civil rights. The only reason they have been targeted, is simple. They are from rich and affluent families. I cannot figure out any other possible reason for it. If bias can be shown, these guys may come out pretty rich after their names are cleared.

I usually do not get too nasty in my opinionated critiques of public officals that do bonehead things, like this. You have to admit, even those that do some of the most despicable things in the realm of politics (and otherwise), get some pretty fair breaks here. So forgive me for a moment, because I am about to cast that self-imposed philosophical policy aside, just for this one moment.

From every new turn in this case, I am finding it more and more difficult to ignore the fact that this quite possibly one of the worst district attorneys, I have ever had the displeasure of reading about. And I have read about some real shady dealings involving prosecutors, before. But this one is one of the worst cases I have ever seen.

Why do I say that, you ask?

He has totally ignored any and every red flag imaginable, for the sole purpose of making a name for himself and securing his re-election bid, this past fall. By taking a racially-charged case, using the local black community as political pawns, and not looking at the facts; likewise, he has used these three men as political pawns and taken it one step further by smearing their otherwise good names into the ground. These are young men, whose only crimes appear to be, being from affluent families, playing a sport associated with that status, and getting a stripper (from a highly questionable background) to provide them with some ill-advised, cheap entertainment.

He is the lowest common denominator, I have found in my years of following dumbasses and their idiotic antics. He was sworn to uphold and enforce the law. But for pure political gain, he has violated his sworn oath. So now, it's time for him to be removed from office, have his assets liquidated to pay all three young men (and their families) for unnecessary pain and suffering, and (if there is any way possible) prosecuted.

No comments: