Saturday, May 26, 2007

Another Blast From The Past

One hit wonders are the subject of this week's "Blast From The Past" post. Everyone has a favorite, here are a few of mine:

Whenever I hear this one-hit wonder, I think back to the time when one of my best friends in the world and I used to hang out in his poster-filled room, pondering the various things of the universe, as only a teenager would. Here is King Harvest's, Dancing in The Moonlight from 1973:



The next one-hit wonder was one that came from a Dutch band, The Shocking Blue. Here is their one big hit, Venus:



In the late 70s, Europe's music scene was certainly a unique experience. And when I listen to Driver's Seat by Sniff 'N' The Tears, it takes me back to those days when I lived and worked in what was then, West Germany:



And finally, who could forget this classic In The Year 2525, by Zager & Evans:



Enjoy.


Addendum: For a couple of other obscure tunes from the past, check out AC's Fore Left.

12 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

LA

That was fun, thanks!

I noticed in the song "In the Year 2525"

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife.
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too.
From the bottom of a long glass tube. Whoa-oh


I guess we're ahead of schedule on that one! :-D

A.C. McCloud said...

Yeah, Zager and Evans definitely underestimated.

As to the Shocking Blue, it looks like the girl was stoned out of her mind. I still remember buying the 45 of that one as a young lad.

LA Sunset said...

ME,

I remember an old cartoon from the 50s that took place in the future, with space travel as common. At the beginning, it said 1975.

We've come so far, yet still have a ways to go before we reach the points we all thought we'd be at, by now.

LA Sunset said...

AC,

//As to the Shocking Blue, it looks like the girl was stoned out of her mind.//

Not so shocking, is it? ;)

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Dutch girl singing "Venus", Mariska Veres, she died 6 months ago. See here.
Would you believe it?

Flocon

Anonymous said...

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Ain't life unkind?

Flocon

Always On Watch said...

Van Morrison's "Moondance"

LA Sunset said...

Flocon,

That's so sad to hear. None of are getting younger though. I still find it hard to believe that two of the Beatles are dead.

LA Sunset said...

AOW,

Excellent. I love Van Morrison. I like "Blue Money" too

Mary Ellen said...

That's so sad to hear. None of are getting younger though. I still find it hard to believe that two of the Beatles are dead.

I am. I decided to start counting backwards on my birthdays. It was either that or give in and start wearing big ol' house dresses and dying my hair blue.

I don't remember that band "The Shocking Blue"...must have been way before my time. ;-)

LA Sunset said...

ME,

//I decided to start counting backwards on my birthdays.//

And....how's that working out for you?

;)

Mary Ellen said...

LA

Ask Flocon, he thinks I'm a two year old. ;-)