Saturday, May 17, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

It's a bit later than I like it. But nevertheless, here it is. The theme this weekend is concerts I saw while I was still in high school. Tickets were generally $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50 when the seats were reserved, from $5-$7 for festival seating.

Surprisingly enough, this band was my first concert ever. It was a small venue, not a bad seat in the house, unless you got stuck on the sides. I saw them twice once before this song was released, and after. Here is Black Oak Arkansas with Jim Dandy To The Rescue:



The second show I spent my hard earned wages (from working at a Dairy Queen Brazier after school, weekends, and a couple of summers) to see was The Edgar Winter Group, with Rick Derringer on guitar. Here is one of their most obscure songs, and buried deep in the immensely successful "They Only Come Out At Night" LP (Free Ride, Frankenstein, et al). It is also one of the best songs ever written. Here is Autumn:



If you never got to see Humble Pie, you missed one hell of a show. I wasn't the same for awhile afterwards, by standards for a performance got raised significantly after seeing them headline a show that opened with two bands called Spooky Tooth and Montrose, the latter featured a little known singer at the time, known now as Sammy Hagar. Here is a tune taped at a reunion for the Steve Marriot Tribute a few years back (Peter Frampton even came back). It's called I Don't Need No Doctor:



I didn't get to see Grand Funk Railroad until I was a senior, by that time they were a huge commercial success that had abandoned some of the bluesy roots that helped them pack stadiums. They were doing this before they scored a song hit on Top 40 radio. But before they got out of that style, they did manage to churn this song out. A great blend of rock and funk, here is Rock And Roll Soul:



Enjoy.

No comments: