Saturday, May 31, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

In the 1960s, there was an act called the Left Banke. Credit for the short success of this group went to the keyboard player and songwriter Michael Brown. Their most recognizable hit during this time was a song most of us will remember. It's called Walk Away Renee:



In the early 70s, the Left Banke faded away from the spotlight and Michael Brown hooked up with a guy named Ian Lloyd. They formed another short-lived band called The Stories. They had one minimal album success, called Stories About Us. The album had some pretty good tunes on it, but the song most will remember was not the one they wanted to be known for. It had been a hit for the British group, Hot Chocolate and wasn't the direction they were looking to go. Here is their only smash hit from that LP, Brother Louie:



As I said, the album About Us had a collection of songs that I felt were much better suited for the times. One of them is a tune that better defined the sound they were looking for and had a certain Beatlesque style/influence. It's called Darling:



Finally, here is a tune that has been done by a lot of artists. The man introducing the song on the video gives the scoop on it. It's called Mammy Blue:



Enjoy.

3 comments:

Always On Watch said...

I remember when that first one came out. It's one of my favorites.

Charlemange said...

Thanks for sharing my Darling video! When I made it, I didn't think anyone would watch it. Now at over 10,000 views, I wish I'd done a better job on it.

Charlemange
leftbanke.nu

LA Sunset said...

You are very welcome, Charlemange. But don't be too hard on yourself, I guarantee you did far better than I could have.