Saturday, November 29, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

When the Beatles broke up, John, Paul, and George all worried if Ringo would make it; so, they all took turns writing songs for and playing with him, on his recordings.

This week we revisit the music of the often times forgotten Beatle, who elevated rock and roll drumming to a level of equality, with the rest of the instruments. His baritone and sometimes off-key voice was blended well with great musical compositions, to form a unique sound that has yet to be copied with any real resemblance, even until today.

Here is a tune from the Beatles - who always had one song on each album, written for Ringo, for him to sing. This one was written by Carl Perkins (who appears with Ringo in this performance) This is one I have always liked, one that is a real Memphis rockabilly beauty which captures the true essence of rock and roll. It's called, Honey Don't:



George Harrison's fingerprints were all over this next one and most Beatle aficionados will recognize that signature guitar sound as belonging to him. It was recorded in 1970 and released in 1971 and is my favorite Ringo Starr song, ever. It reached #4 on the US charts and is called It Don't Come Easy:



Ringo's second hit was produced by Harrison, but written entirely by Ringo. It was a silly little song that did well because of its catchy tune and silly refrain. It reached #9 on the American charts in 1972, it's called Back Off Boogaloo:




Still another strong Harrison presence can be found on this next song and it features one of the better brass and orchestral arrangements, in all of rock music. This one reached #1 on the US charts in 1973 and was performed in 2002's Concert For George Tribute. The song is Photograph:



Totally written by Ringo was a song that appeared on the B-Side of Photograph. It's a great little tune, not well known, but holds well to the tradition which the Beatles established long ago, of putting two quality songs on one 45-RPM. This one is titled, Down And Out:



Enjoy.

3 comments:

Z said...

Oh, MAN, oh MAN, oh MAN were those treats to listen to tonight! Thanks, LA!

Ringo is SO under estimated....I ADORE "It Don't Come Easy"...isn't that on BANGLADESH? (I really like that album set)WHEN MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS rips my guts out, but I was always a George fan (was invited to a smallish wedding and though i was told he might come, I didn't go. He did. It was Gary Wright (Dream Weaver)'s wedding...I knew his bride.. and I don't think I"ll ever get over having decided not to go at the last minute and not meeting George!..)

This was just great stuff...who can not sing along with every one of these Ringo tunes?

In that last video, I swear that's Richard Bramson about 1/3 of the way through! Looks like him, anyway. The piano's really tasty on that last song, too...whoever "Gary.." is.

Do you like THE BAND, by the way, LA?

Thanks for the TERRIFIC music..every one of these is just great and it's nice to see most of Ringo's good stuff all together...helps you see what a talent he really is, not just the Beatle they had to get to fill in as drummer, right!?

LA Sunset said...

It Don't Come Easy was on Bangladesh, but I have to question, why you failed to attend that wedding? What good reason could you have possibly had that you would pass up a chance, even to just see Gary Wright (formerly of Spooky Tooth fame) get married? BTW, are they still married?

I don't know if that's Bramson or not, but I do like the Band. I like Up On Cripple Creek, The Weight, Rag Mama Rag, and the entire album of the Last Waltz.

Anyway, Z, I am glad you enjoyed it. I talked to Mustang on the phone yesterday and as usual, he ridiculed my choice of music (once again). ;)

Z said...

You know, I don't know why I didn't go, either. I pleaded sickness afterwards..like a DOPE. It's very unlike me. It's years ago, who knows. I sure didn't think George would be there. Honestly, LA, I practically SCREECHED when I heard he was there..only about 50 people were there!

Gary Wright...I don't know if he and she are still married. I don't even remember her name anymore. This is probably 30 years ago! (ssshhh!)

I'm CRAZY for THE BAND....I think their THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN is the best rendition EVER. I was a big Leon Russell fan, too.

Motown, as well......

Mustang. What can I say? ignore him. Or pay him off and maybe he won't bug you anymore!!!! (it's all that COFFEE!)