Saturday, January 17, 2009

Another Blast From The Past

When I was a new teenager at 13, it didn't take much to entertain us. Hitting our mother or father up for a couple of quarters to spend at the convenience store down the road was not uncommon for us, and was a great way to kill some time on a Saturday.

We'd get some cheese popcorn and coke or some chocolate milk and Hostess cupcakes (or whatever we were in the mood for at that moment in time). Then we would sit on one of the hills behind the store, talking about life and our dreams for the future. (Not that anyone knew anything about it, mind you, but we thought we did.) And although this was one of those typical awkward ages, it certainly was a good time in my life. One of the things that always takes me back to those days is, when I hear something by Three Dog Night.

They had a string of hits in the late 60s and early 70s, one right after the other (and then, poof, they went away and were relegated to doing nostalgia tours). Whenever I hear them today, it always reminds me of those carefree days, when I didn't know a damned thing about anything, and had no real responsibility on this planet (except for keeping my room straight and cutting the grass).


First up is a mellow little tune that most oldsters like myself, will certainly remember. It's called, Out In The Country:



This next song was their first Top Ten hit and peaked at #5 on the US charts. This video performance was later on, in one of those "nostalgia tours". It features an orchestral accompaniment. It's simply entitled, One:



One that our good friend Greg will most certainly loathe, due to the partial reference to one of his most despised QBs in the NFL, Eli Manning. Here is one of my favorites called, Eli's Coming:



Finally up is my all-time favorite Three Dog Night tune. I used to sing this song a lot, partially because it was a good song and partially because the words of the refrain referred to a dream of mine. Up until that moment in time, I had never been to Spain or anywhere else in Europe (and I so wanted to go see where my ancestors roamed the earth). But less than seven years later, I was able to experience that which I sang about, as a young teen. Here is Never Been To Spain:



Enjoy.


4 comments:

Z said...

OUT IN THE COUNTRY. haven't heard that in years. it brought a tear to my eye..I loved that song.
Adore Eli's Coming and didn't know it had a thing to do with football.
I loved THREE DOG NIGHT....had a bit of a crush on Chuck Negron.
I'm so old now it's amazing I remember his name!!!!
Thanks SO much...wonderful stuff, LA!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories with us, LA. I've always had a running soundtrack in my life, and music takes me right back to a time and place...instantly!

I like Never Been To Spain the best. :-)

This music reminds me of driving with my mom on a rainy day. She also loved (and still does) ELO, The Doobie Brothers, and Wings.
:sigh: Good memories, indeed.

I need to be reading you more often.

LA Sunset said...

Hi Pinky,

//Thanks for sharing your memories with us//

You are most welcome and thanks for taking the time to visit. You are welcome to come and leave a comment, anytime.

//This music reminds me of driving with my mom on a rainy day. She also loved (and still does) ELO, The Doobie Brothers, and Wings.//

From the sounds of it, your mom is probably around my age. My parents listened to the big band sound, with names like Sinatra leading the list. When I hear "ol blue eyes", it reminds me of them too.

LA Sunset said...

Z,

Out In The Country was a great tune that didn't reach as high as many of the other songs they were known for. But as I have found is the case with most acts over the years, the best music is that which isn't always commercially successful.