Saturday, January 03, 2009

Another Blast From The Past

The deep love of music came from my father (and his love for it). I once posted a music post detailing one area where our tastes happened to intersect. This week, I thought another dose of this act would get the year kicked off in style.

I can make no excuses, Supertramp is my favorite rock act of all time. All of these songs come off of the Crisis, What Crisis? LP, which in my opinion was the their best musical performance. The lyrics were not the happiest and it didn't sell as well as Crime Of The Century, Even In The Quietest Moments, and Breakfast In America. But its artistic versatility is the thing which has stood out more than anything (at least from my view).

In this first cut, the lyrical theme is a familiar one of the artists of this era (mid 70s), one of cynical criticism of certain religious institutions of that day. It wasn't so much a questioning of the faith, as it was against the hypocrisy of some who professed a faith (and yet did not do the works of that faith from a sincere heart). Jethro Tull was good with this kind of writing.

The music compliments the message but not in a dark way. It has a certain sound of resignation and acceptance from it. It's almost to say, "whatever you want to do is fine, but I want no part of it". I think most of you will like this one. It's called A Soapbox Opera:



This is another happy sounding tune with somewhat sad lyrics, regretful in tone. This one is called Sister Moonshine:



Some more great music on this next one. This is a mellow song about yearning for some meaning in life. Here is Just A Normal Day:



Here's one about some guy obsessed over some gal. Here is Ain't Nobody But Me:



If you do not listen to another song on this post, this is the one you must hear. If you like piano, you need to hear it. You won't hear a better performance of well-blended musical arrangements to compliment this piano lead. Here is the always breathtaking sound of Another Man's Woman:



Enjoy.

1 comment:

Z said...

I LOVE Supertramp and am quiet sure I'd never heard that..fantastic piano..thanks!