Saturday, August 16, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

In 1977, my dad pretty much hated my music. All of it. He saw my developmental stages and phases up close, as I developed my likes and dislikes. There were many times he'd abide with me as I listened to music, of which I knew in my heart he had great disdain.

His teenage music was rooted in the big band jazz sound, mine (as you may have surmised by now) was based on a sound that parents (from that era) did not know or understand.
He watched the Monkees with me once in a great while when they were a hot item, and throughout the show he told me they were degenerates. He said he couldn't understand why I would want to call noise, music. From the Beatles through the Who, Rolling Stones through Grand Funk Railroad, he finally began to believe that I was of little hope and the world was going to turn communist and would go to hell in a handbasket, when I got older.

In 1977, I was home on leave with a few clothes and a few of my favorite cassette tapes. There was one in particular that for some strange reason caught his ear about the second time he heard it. He was stunned. First, he told me that I must have made a mistake. Then when I assured him I had not, he began to shake me violently and scream out loudly:

"What have you done with my son?" "Come out of him this instant!"

The band was Supertramp, one of my all-time favorites. This particular tape I was playing was entitled Even In The Quietest Moments and (along with Crime of The Century) was one of the few true masterpiece works of musical art, ever recorded on this planet. I'd rank it up there with Sgt Pepper and Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

The reason he liked it? It was damned good.

It was an isometric mixture of classical, jazz, and rock. And to this day, I have a hard time finding any other music that has this almost flawless sound and the innate ability to capture a person's spirit with vivid imagery. The music, the lyrics, the chemistry of the musicians all were of the highest quality. And in my humble opinion, they were just about a third of a notch below the Beatles, in creativity and stature. In my dad's ears, they were a damned good band.


Since there is hardly a song I do not like by these guys, I thought this time around, I'd play some songs from this very tape that blew my pop away on that summer day in 1977.

This first one was the one I believe my father liked best. I mean, what's not to like about it? It has one of the most pleasant melodies, coupled with lyrics of a risky adventure. You can really lose yourself in this one. (The piano is awesome.) Here is From Now On:



If you are not careful, you will find yourself enraptured in this one, as well. This one is called, Downstream:



I happen to think this was my dad's second favorite song on this LP. Here is Lover Boy:



None of these three previous songs made any real waves on the charts. This band is one of the few acts whose best songs never were hits. But this next one made it to #15. Even those that still do not know who Supertramp is, will remember this one. Here is Give A Little Bit:



The album comes to an arousing crescendo in this final tune. It was written and produced 31 years ago, but is very appropriate for this day and age. It is about the stupidity of mankind.

History recalls how great the fall can be
While everybodys sleeping, the boats put out to sea
Borne on the wings of time
It seemed the answers were so easy to find
Too late, the prophets cry
The islands sinking, lets take to the sky


It questions the seriousness of our desire to solve problems and improve our world. Maybe my dad was right all along. Maybe the world will go to hell in a handbasket, now that I am older.

Can you hear what I'm saying
Can you see the parts that I'm playing
Holy man, rocker man, come on queenie,
Joker man, spider man, blue eyed meanie
So you found your solution
What will be your last contribution?
Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
Give it out, dish it out, lets go crazy,
Yeah!


This one is simply titled, Fool's Overture:



Today, I have this recording in the form of a CD and still listen to it periodically. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for reading PYY.



No comments: