Saturday, August 23, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

If I had to names names, Matchbox 20, the Cowboy Junkies, and this weekend's featured act were easily three of the great bands of the 90s. Their sound was unique, fresh, and versatile. If you haven't give this band a chance or have never heard of them at all, you owe yourself an opportunity to get to know them.

Meet one of Canada's biggest Indie bands, Barenaked Ladies.

This first song wreaks of the LA folk sound from the late 60s- where bands like Buffalo Springfield and the Byrds were two of the dominant forces. Here is the catchy, mellow tune called, If I Had A Million Dollars:



This one revisits some pasts ghosts in the writer's life. There aren't any real major demons here that most people haven't faced at some time or another, but there are certainly some unresolved issues about moving forward. This one is named, The Old Apartment:



This is not necessarily a tribute song. It leads me to believe that he was a fan, but recognized his ability to identify with some of issues of his idol. The music is not in any way connected, but the message was real in an abstract sense. It was art imitating life. The music in this one really blew me away, the first time I heard it. Here is the song, Brian Wilson:



This next one reminds me a little of Herman's Hermits with a 90s technology in the music. It's an upbeat little tune called, It's All Been Done:



Our last tune is a real rocker. In fact, it's one of may favorites even though it's a tribute to one vice I do not share with others I have known. I can take it or leave it (mostly leave it). But when I do imbibe, I like Martinis (That's gin and vermouth with an olive, on the rocks; none of this apple-tini and other flavored sissy drinks that show "-tini" on the end.) Here is the molecular compound known in chemistry circles as ETOH, ethanol, or put very simply, Alcohol:



Enjoy.



No comments: