Saturday, August 09, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

This week I wanted to share some songs by some women vocalists that I have always enjoyed hearing.

Although I think she has some serious psychological issues, I have always enjoyed listening to some Madonna songs. Even though her personal antics leave much to be desired, I have always thought she was one of the more talented female recording artists of my lifetime. And even though it wasn't recorded as of then, this one always reminds me of my time in Spain way back in 1979. Here is the live version of La Isla Bonita:



1983 saw the first fruits of the talents of, one, Tracy Ullman. Certainly, her success has extended far beyond the musical realm. But the first time I heard of her was when she released this song which was first recorded by Kirsty McColl, a song that made it all the way to #2 in the US. In this video, watch who appears by her side at the end. Here is They Don't Know:



Raspy, sexy, and sensual best describes Taylor Dayne's voice. This song peaked at #4 on the American charts in 1990 and is one of my favorite songs of any female artist. It is a live TV performance, here is I'll Be Your Shelter:



Another set of raspy vocal chords can be found whenever listening to a Macy Gray song. This 1999 release made it to #4 in the US, #3 in the UK, and #1 in both Australia and New Zealand. Here is her smash hit I'll Try:



This gal has one hell of a voice. She can do rock and roll, blues, and R&B as good as anyone on the planet. No tribute to female vocalists can be complete without a tune from the one and only Tina Turner. Her concert performances are as high energy as anyone, in the entire music industry. Here is a live 1990 Barcelona performance that really rocks the house, Steamy Windows:



Enjoy.



No comments: