Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Reflection

This is not a post to toot my own horn or pat myself on the back. And I am not seeking anyone to do that in the comment section either. So please bear with me a moment, while I develop this line of thought.

The purpose of this post is to make a point about charity.

I know that I have no need to point out to my acutely intelligent readers that charity is not just money given to worthwhile causes or organizations. It is that.... but it is also the giving of oneself to help others. Time counts in that equation as well as the very acts of kindness that do not necessarily involve the transfers of funds.

Recently, I took a new job within the same corporate system. Now, I am again working alongside a lady that I once worked with in the same system for years. She is one reason I chose to work in this new area and is probably a big reason why I got the job to begin with. She knew what my work ethic was back in the past and she also knew that I know what I am doing. But i know know that it was probably a little more than this.

When I started in the new role, she was introducing me around to the people that I did not already know and she told a story that I had forgotten about.

Many years ago when this lady had shoulder surgery, she wasn't able to cook for herself, while she was Vicodined out and with her arm in a sling. So, I made some of my famous Italian Beef and along with Mrs. Sunsett, we took it over to her with all of the trimmings that go with it. It was no real trouble at all. But I honestly had forgotten about it until she reminded me.

So here's the point I want to make. My parents instilled a code of ethics within me that I have internalized deeply enough for it to manifest itself, without much thought being put into it. That is to say, I just instinctively help people who need it.....if it is within my power to do so

Through this instance and others, it tells me something that rings clear.

When we help people for the right reasons, others will remember it. And someday down the road, we will need help and those who we have helped will find about it and will rise to the occasion much like we did, when we had the opportunity.

Doing the right things for the right reasons means we do not need to keep score. Someone else is doing that and we just need to keep playing like we are behind. In the end, our rewards will come to us without having to call them in like political favors.

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I have always thought our character is measured by what we do when no one is watching.

Or, in the context of your story, what we do when we will get nothing from it.

These are lessons that are lost on may in today's society.

LA Sunset said...

Well said, my friend.

Rocket said...

A very moving post LA.

By the way. I need $100,000. Just send me a check this week.

LA Sunset said...

Sure Rocket. Give ma a fax number and I will fax you one.