Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another Blast From The Past

When ELO first surfaced in America, I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed. The song that got the airplay was an old Chuck Berry tune, Roll Over Beethoven. I think the addition of traditionally classical instruments to the world of rock & roll was noble and much needed to spice up the genre, but still it didn't do much for me.

But then, they came out with this song, a favorite of the late John Lennon. Here is a live stage version of their hit, Showdown:



The following two songs from the Face The Music LP effectively launched them into "supergroup" status. Here is Evil Woman:



And Strange Magic:



Then, there is one of my favorite ELO songs of all time (at least one that can be found on You Tube). Here is Mr Blue Sky:



Enjoy.

1 comment:

BEING HAD said...

ELO was in Minsk a few months ago. I didn't go to the show, but I saw them on the news. Have not aged well. And actually, I am not even sure if Jeff Lynn was with them. If he was, he has lost a lot of weight. Maybe it was because the Belarus Television guys hadn't a clue who they were anyway so they couldn't figure out who the star was. Strange Magic that had to have been.