Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another Blast From The Past

During the 90s there was brief period where I saw a certain musical renaissance. Not all artists from that era were grungers of the Pearl Jam or Nirvana mold, a mold that was heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin and other 70s bands. Many were very talented and managed to capture an entire genre unto themselves.

This weekend we salute some very talented gals that represent this genre as good as any, starting off with a band that started the career of Hope Sandoval.



This is a Canadian band, headed by a husband and wife team. They always had such a crisp classy sound.



Finally, we have two numbers from an enormously talented lady. I cannot begin to describe how gifted of a songwriter she is. I have little doubt that she will be a huge influence on female singer/songwriters for years to come. These two tunes are off of the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy CD, which I think is by far her best. (And they are all pretty good.)





Enjoy.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A music critic is one who reviews music and performances, and then publishes his or her findings in books, journals, magazines, and the internet. This would tend to define my good friend LA Sunset (with a single ‘t’). He pursues a field that began in the 18th Century with Charles Avison, when noted musicians began to study, discuss, evaluate, and interpret the music produced by others. Very often, they were musicians themselves; they had credibility with the reading public, as well as with other musicians, except that no one likes to receive a “bad review” of something they’ve worked very hard to produce.

Mr. Sunset is also a noted musician; I have it on good authority that he sings in the shower, hums to himself, occasionally whistles, and even once responded to a domestic argument with, “Well, la di dah dah.” Soon afterwards, he received his first full set of dentures. In any case, for those interested, I located a rare picture of Mr. Sunset early in his musical critique career. But now we would like to know, what is a grunger, pearl jam, nirvana mold, and finally … how is a led zeppelin even possible?

LA Sunset said...

//Mr. Sunset is also a noted musician; I have it on good authority that he sings in the shower, hums to himself, occasionally whistles, and even once responded to a domestic argument with, “Well, la di dah dah.”//

In your moment of hyperbolic embellishment, you forgot to tell the readers that I can play two instruments: The radio and the stereo.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit the Canadian singer has a beautiful voice. That's all I can comment on now; I have to go throw myself out a ten story window.

Daryl Rhea

LA Sunset said...

//I have to go throw myself out a ten story window.//


Hi Daryl,

Welcome to PYY. Why don't you get your brothers, Darrell and Darold, tie leg weights on your legs, and do it as a family.