Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunday Reflection: The Value Of Health

My mother always used to say to me as a child, "if you have your health, you have everything". Of course most children are concrete thinkers and are not able to properly analyze abstract statements very well. So, I would file the thought away and go out to play. Life was good.

As I have aged, the reality of my mother's statement has become better known to me.

Other than some minor issues here and there, my health has been great. But this past January, I had a brief moment of chest pain at work. It went away rather fast, but my co-workers ganged up on me and made me go to the ER for an evaluation. I didn't want to, but they were relentless; so just to shut them up, I went.

Labs were drawn and sent, an EKG was taken, it all went so fast. To make a long story short, the cardiac enzymes were stable and the subsequent stress echo was negative. But some of the other labs were not normal. And after several more follow-up lab tests were performed, I was told I have a chronic illness that will never go away. That, within itself, was enough to depress a comedian. Other than the brief episode that landed me in the ER, I didn't feel sick. And I still don't.

If that wasn't enough, at the time I was being worked up for the illness, a second potentially dangerous problem was discovered. It's not serious at this time and I do not expect it to be any time soon. But who can say for how long? We can only control so much of our destiny.

So here I sit today, finally able to assign the proper value to health. Health is something that we cannot take for granted, because in one instant our status can be changed. But do not fear, I plan on being here for a very long time. I am doing everything the doctors are telling me to do. That which I can control, I am. That which I cannot control is out of my hands.

One of PYY's good friends, Amerloque, understands this of which I write. If you have not had a chance to read his story, you can read it here.

So, the reflection this Sunday is simple. If you have not been to the doctor in awhile, I say it is a good thing. If you have not had a physical in awhile, maybe you should get one. Both of my issues were diagnosed incidentally and likely would not have been discovered early enough, had my co-workers not been more presistent and stubborn than me. As Barney Fife used to say: Nip it, nip it in the bud.

11 comments:

Z said...

I'm so glad you're doing well, LA...thanks for sharing that important story; it could be just the nudge someone needs to go to the doctor.
Amerlogue's story is particularly interesting to me since I lived in Paris those 4 years and found the healthcare situation SO different there in many ways....like having a problem and going to the pharmacist who CAN help you with a cut or fever, like the little old neighborhood doctors of olde.
How they get gurneys down those long and high flights of stairs has always been an enigma becuase they sure can't get them in the teeny elevators.

be well...both of you.
And to those reading this : GO TO THE DOCTOR if you suspect anything...tomorrow.

A.C. McCloud said...

Thanks for sharing that, LA. My mom said the same thing back in the day. Her transformation from dumb to near-savant has become amazingly clear with the passage of years.

Good luck going forward.

beakerkin said...

I understand this all too well. I had a blood pressure scare durring a heat wave in NYC. My pressure was recorded at 175/125. Since then it has averaged 117/72.

My spike was caused by not drinking and placing the fan on visitors. I view this as hospitality as if the visitors can not drink I should not do so and a fan should be reserved for guests. Management moved the fan because 11 hours in a tie with a screaming boss and no water is dangerous.

Also if I do not answer quickly I am told to stop and drink. I am not allowed to work without 16 0z of water on my desk at all times.

HoosierArmyMom said...

Having had a breast surgery to deal with "pre-cancer" cells found in a mammogram and finding out I had type II diabetes all within the last year, I also encourage people to get checked out. My diabetes was found in the early stage and I am doing well with controlling it the issue with the bad mammogram speaks for itself... no chemo or drastic treatment was needed.

Great post LA.

L'Amerloque said...

Hi LAS !

As LASunsett said to Amerloque a while back … and as Amerloque posts back to LAS herewith …

/// Take care, sir. And stay the course. As long as your mind is sharp, there is much you can do. Never forget that. ///

Amerloque is pleased that LAS is doing better !

Best,
L’Amerloque

LA Sunset said...

Thanks to all for the kind words and sharing your stories. As I said, I am not feeling sick right now. And I am planning on being here posting rants for a long time.

Greg said...

I know what you are feeling, man. On the bright side, a diagnosis of something serious can really re-focus you on what's important in life: friends and family. We have to make the most of what we have while we're here.

rocket said...

Stay healthy and rethink your diet seriously!

No red meat! No snacking!

LA Sunset said...

//a diagnosis of something serious can really re-focus you on what's important in life: friends and family. //

You are right. I have understood my immortality for many years now. I comes as no surprise to me. Only those in my family seem to be taken back. Me? I just take it all in stride.

The docs tell me I may have 20 years left. Which is about what I figured to have, anyway. If not, I have had a blast in this life.

LA Sunset said...

//No red meat! No snacking!//

Rocket, I have given up cigarettes and will not push the issue on the food just yet. ;)

While I have made some changes for the better, I cannot/will not give up everything all at once.

Cigarettes didn't cause these issues. But I figured it was time to shed them, because I don't need any other problems. Food hasn't caused it either, but it never hurts to eat as healthy as one can.

We have cut back on the red meat by about half. We'll look at other things later, when I have no more nicotine cravings that result in a desire to overthrow the government of Luxembourg, and set up a puppet regime.

LA Sunset said...

I comes as no surprise to me.

should say IT comes as no surprise to me.