Monday, April 27, 2009

Waste Not. Worry Not.

I respect the earth because it is my home. My little portion of it has been entrusted to me for the days I am here, so I do whatever I can to preserve it. It's only right. I have to drive to work and various other places, but I do it responsibly. I use energy and eat food, but I do not waste. It does irritate me when I see others do it purposefully, without any regard as to how precious either commodity may be someday.

If there is any one thing I would consider a pet peeve, it would be littering. Maybe it's because I am old enough to remember the Lady Bird Johnson ecological campaign of the 60s, Every Litter Bit Hurts and Don't Be A Litter Bug. I do not accept any excuse for anyone throwing trash around outside, especially when (in this day and age) there is a trash can nearly everywhere you go.

But, time has worn on. Things have improved. For the most part, I think there is much less trash lying around than when I was younger. It's not perfect, there are still some smug jerks who are self-absorbed enough to think they are above the rest of us. But overall, it's not as prevalent in most areas, as it was before the awareness was raised.

Still, there those who are hell-bent on keeping the ecology movements alive. They have done this by politicizing these issues and by allowing their organizations to be infiltrated with Marxist ideologues -- along with corporations that stand to make a killing in sales from wind turbines and other "green" technology. They want everyone to believe that we are in dire straits and time for life on the planet will be greatly shortened, if we do not allow them to set policy.

So, hows that for a mixture? Anti-capitalists and capitalists joining together to empower themselves. Ironic, isn't it?

Speaking of irony, I happened upon this post a few days ago. It was put up as a sarcastic commemoration to Earth Day and I recommend you take a look at it. It takes us all down memory lane, to some things said to commemorate the first Earth Day in 1970. Consider these gems:

“We have about five more years at the outside to do something.”
• Kenneth Watt, ecologist

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
• George Wald, Harvard Biologist


Funny how we hear the same thing now. It's as if it were written 40 years ago.

We only have a few years left.

Time is crucial.

We
MUST act now.

Blah, blah, blah.


We hear it so much, many of us are already numb to it.

All of this translates to: "GE is ready to market its "green line" of products and time's wasting. Hurry before their stock takes a bigger hit." Never mind that the CEO is primarily responsible for GE's woes, let's keep manipulating the public as a smokescreen.

Anyway --- like I said, I do my part to take care of the planet. I just don't lose contact with reality while I am doing it. I do it privately and quietly, without public fanfare and I do not denigrate others who don't. I have found it best to lead by example, which is all anyone can do without becoming an annoyance to others.

George Carlin didn't get too bent out of shape over it either. Remember that this is Carlin and there are some salty words in this:



Overall, the message is clear. He didn't think the crap put out by Al Gore (and associates) was warranted, he just didn't mention him by name. But we do here.

Recently,the Goracle spoke the usual Gore-speak to Congress and many of those louts ate it all up.

But Newt Gingrich spoke to the same group of people, look what he had to say.

How many of them, do suppose even heard what the man said?

The man proposes reality-based solutions to the environment without massive amounts of regulation and government control. You'd think he'd get a standing ovation. But instead, they demonize him. How dare he disagree with the Democratic Party's solution? No Republican or Conservative could ever have a better plan, because it would reward rather than punish. It would use positive reinforcement, rather than negative. This would keep the government out of the equation more.

For shame.


15 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks for the Newt Gingrich speech. That was worth every minute. Why doesn't he run for President? He probably figures the rising oceans and temperatures will kill us all very soon, so why bother....

Good move by Gore to visit DC during the spring, when there was much less chance of snow.

Chuck said...

I'm with you LA.

We spend a lot of time outdoors fishing and camping. I have always raised my kids to respect nature, not polute, not to harrass animals. They still moan when I make them walk through our campsite at the end of our stay and pick up every little scrap of paper, etc. They often find themselves cleaning up behind the person before us. Bottom line is they are learning respect as much as cleaning up.

Environmentalists and animal rights groups have some common sense on their side. The problem is that they squander any logic by being completely and totally insane about their approach.

Any sane person realizes we shouldn't polute intentionally. At the same time we have to live on the planet and unless we want to live in caves and freeze or starve to death we have to produce things, use resources, and keep ourselves warm. It's all a matter of doing it wisely.

I'm also old enough to remember the bad old days. When I was a kid Michigan did not have a bottle law so people tossed their bottles and cans out the window along the highway. It was a horrible mess. Now we either turn them in or someone picks them up for the cash. We still get to drink soft drinks and beer and have clean highways. Common sense. (a pain in the rear but the highways look much better)

L'Amerloque said...

Hi LAS !



There are some excellent speeches/lectures on line (from the 2009 International Conference on Climate Change) over at the Heartland Conference website:



/// The world’s largest-ever gathering of global warming skeptics took place in New York City on March 8-10, 2009, to confront the issue, “Global warming: Was it ever really a crisis? …/… ///



http://tinyurl.com/28rz74



Best,
L’Amerloque

Anonymous said...

I sent Albert, of whom I am well pleased, to save you people; in spite of his patience, reams of scientific evidence, his pleading and begging, and his many trips to Europe on a private jet, it is apparent you aren’t listening to him. Now, I shall smut, er … smote, er … smyte you. I shall cause rods to turn to athps, apts, damn it, asps, locusts will descend from the heavens, and fluming vail, er … flocking nail, er … flaming hail shall fall to the earth. I will turn all the water to puck, er … muck, cause women to marry other women, and I shall curse you with a Chicago politician. Dogs will marry cats, and the pigs will cough and sneeze upon your children. Our bottom line is … you’ve really pissed me off.

Sincerely yours,

Earth

LA Sunset said...

//Why doesn't he run for President?//

He just might. Despite the baggage from his Speaker days, he might have a chance. But as for the baggage, remember, people have short memories. Once some of the younger people (who were too young to know much about him) become utterly disgusted with Obama and his party, he may look good to them. They may actually find his policies to their liking.

One thing is for sure, he's not an empty suit. He's a pretty smart guy.

LA Sunset said...

//When I was a kid Michigan did not have a bottle law so people tossed their bottles and cans out the window along the highway. It was a horrible mess. Now we either turn them in or someone picks them up for the cash. //

I think that this law is a great idea. I was out in Oregon a few years ago, they had a law like that but I forget what they were paid per can/bottle.

They didn't have any problems with littered highways either.

LA Sunset said...

Amerloque,

That's an excellent site. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

But as far as the Conference is concerned, who would know anything about it since the MSM didn't cover it? Had it been the Al Gore Conference, NBC would have promoted the hell out of it and broadcast it live on MSNBC.

LA Sunset said...

//I sent Albert,//

Well, Mr. Earth, we can send his ass right back to you, if you want.

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure how everyone else feels about this, but Sunsett’s use of profanity as this family oriented weblog is personally insulting, and disappointing. I may never again come back to this bastards blog ever again.

Eric Cartman
SPE

Anonymous said...

Now, now Eric ... be a little more tolerant. You don't know what LA's been going through. Thousands of people send him letters and postcards every week asking for advice. Plus, he's a neurosurgeon, and in charge of his neighborhood watch patrol. Until you can walk a mile in his shoes, don't be so critical.

LA ... I think this was a positively wonderful essay today. We know how effective you are when EARTH writes to you, even if it seemed somewhat threatening. Keep up the good work, my friend.

Uh ... I do have one suggestion. You can avoid a lawsuit by not using Alfred E. Neuman's key phrases, "What? Me Worry?" Or combinations thereof.

Semper Fi

A.C. McCloud said...

Very good post, LA. What people used to call 'efficiency' is now called 'going green'. If it works better and is cheaper, do it.

As to old "go grab his ass" Gore (sorry Cartman), I was pretty hard on our local Rep Marsha Blackburn for leaving herself exposed in the hearing the other day but it now looks like phat Al might have been lying. Obviously if true it won't be reported in the mainstream press.

LA Sunset said...

That's it Cartman, I am calling your mother. If that doesn't work, I will pay Stan to kick your ass. He can use the money.

LA Sunset said...

//I think this was a positively wonderful essay today. We know how effective you are when EARTH writes to you, even if it seemed somewhat threatening. Keep up the good work, my friend.//

Thanks. (I think)

LA Sunset said...

//I was pretty hard on our local Rep Marsha Blackburn for leaving herself exposed in the hearing the other day//

Why do I miss all of the fun stuff?

;)

A.C. McCloud said...

Yes, I could have framed that a bit better, eh?

:-)