Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Blast From The Past

If you live in the temperate zones and feel like I do right now, you are sick of the cold already. And winter isn't even half over yet. So i thought this weekend we'd take a listen at some songs that emit a warm sound that makes us all think of the tropics.

This first tune was originally sang by the late South African singer, Miriam Makeba (who I saw in concert in Germany, in 1978). This version is from a Cuban born singer, who now makes her home in Barcelona.

This is a catchy little song some of you may recognize from the Honda Accord Crosstour commercial. It's called Pata Pata:



Here's a little tune that you may recognize from a steel drum outfit from the Caribbean:



Nothing like the Beach Boys to warm up the spirit. This song was big in the 80s, the video has some great shots of what looks like the Florida Keys:



Enjoy.


13 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Something tells me you're sick of winter. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, LA ... of course, living in FL, the only complaint I have is the crappy conditions you vector in my direction using the weather machine you purchased second-hand from George Bush. Don't mis-understand, my friend. I understand why you'd do that. You're a bastard ... you can't help it.

Fun musical selection this week, LA ...

Semper Fi

Leslie said...

Very fun choices this week, LA. I'm sick of the winter too. Of course, I was ready for Spring in October.

~

P.S You can turn that little weather machine on full blast if it will bring warm weather here faster --Sorry Mustang.

LASunsett said...

//Something tells me you're sick of winter.

Seriously, what gave it away?

LASunsett said...

//the only complaint I have is the crappy conditions you vector in my direction using the weather machine you purchased second-hand from George Bush.

Yeah, well. The damned thing was working fine there for a couple of weeks, now it seems to be on the blink. I'll have to have it looked at.

LASunsett said...

//You can turn that little weather machine on full blast if it will bring warm weather here faster //

Have you been outside lately, Leslie? I can't get it much warmer outside than it is right now, not in January.

Leslie said...

Oh no, they only let me out of the asylum once a month. It was spitting ice the last time I went outside, yet they left me out there anyway...

~ :)

Mary Ellen said...

Well, today we're having a heatwave in the Chicago area...in the mid 40's! Too bad I packed away the shorts and t-shirts. ;-)

Z said...

NO FOOTBALL POST TODAY?
I came here whine....now I CAN'T!!:-)

LASunsett said...

//It was spitting ice the last time I went outside, yet they left me out there anyway...//

Mustang and I can beat them up for you, if you want.

LASunsett said...

//Well, today we're having a heatwave in the Chicago area...in the mid 40's!//

See, the music post really did work.

LASunsett said...

//NO FOOTBALL POST TODAY?
I came here whine....now I CAN'T!!
//

Sheesh, Z. The game was on into OT. It ended at 10:30PM EST, I had to get SOME sleep before I get up at 4:30AM EST.

(Tough crowd out in LA, where there is no team anymore)

;)

Anonymous said...

//(Tough crowd out in LA, where there is no team anymore)//

... and he wonders why he has no friends besides me, Michelle, Nancy, and Barney (who shares his not very latent homosexual fantasies).

What a mook.

Barack