Saturday, December 11, 2010

Another Blast From the Past

He was an American icon. He just one aspect of the human existence and a huge part of Americana.

Here, he pairs with another talented musician.... who wrote and played in this song:



Many times he looked troubled, many times he looked a bit sad. I think it stopped just short of what I would say, "tortured"..... but he looked like he never really forgave himself for his shortcomings and mistakes.

He really took it hard when the love of his life died and that's when he gave up. He quit. He quit taking his medication and allowed himself to die earlier than he should have, because he was so grief stricken.

One of his latest works was a remake of a Nine Inch Nails song called "Hurt". It was so dark and so sad that I won't post or link to it, you can look it up for yourself on You Tube if you are so inclined.

Musically, he was the kind of artist who could take any song by almost any other artist, and make it his own.... in his own special way. This one you will recognize from U2:



Enjoy.

5 comments:

Always On Watch said...

The Johnny Cash-June Carter love story really is one of beauty. How those two loved each other!

Without June, Johnny would have perished at a much younger age, I think. He did live "life in the fast lane."

I particularly like his song "A Boy Named Sue." Quite a tale in that song.

Always On Watch said...

Oh, another song I love, a duet: "Jackson."

LA Sunset said...

AOW,

Never been much of a country fan. But Cash was one of those artists that transcended musical styles.

Always On Watch said...

I'm not a fan of country music either. The old stuff (Jimmy Rodgers) does appeal to me, though, probably because I have one of my mother's old 78rpm's of "Hobo Bill." And, yes, I have the RCA Victor victrola to play it on.

I always liked Johnny Cash. I often put on one of his CD's as driving music on road trips.

Celebrities With No Teeth said...

Thanks for posting thiss