Friday, October 21, 2005

A PYY Restaurant Review

This is not an advertisement. It is a review of my experience at one of the oldest and still premier restaurants in Atlanta, which I had the opportunity to eat at during my trip, last weekend.

Mary Mac's Tea Room has been in business since 1945 and one trip, will prove to you just why they are still doing a whopping business. Home cooking featuring southern fare is the specialty and it does not get any better than this. Located on the northeast side near downtown, it sits on Ponce de Leon Avenue, and would not draw much attention unless you knew where to look.

Once inside, you look at the decor and see the history of the place. Add to that the walls full of celebrity photos, and you have the story of a restaurant that has endured the age of fast-food joints, trendy pubs, and national chain eateries. If only the walls could speak.

One oddity worthy of mention was the method of ordering. They give you a guest check organized by course, and you write out your own order for the waitress to pick up. I have been to restaurants that had phones at each table and you call in your order in. But, I have never written my own order out before.

But none of that means a damned thing, unless the food is good. And, it is. I had fried oysters and shrimp (which tasted like the seafood I remember, from when I was stationed at Ft. Rucker), with turnip greens and black-eyed peas. All tasted fresh and well-seasoned. Portions were good-sized and it was not too pricey, at all.

After the meal, I was sitting at the table with the only people I knew in Atlanta, right in front of me. All of a sudden, someone starts rubbing my shoulders like they know me. I turned around and saw an older lady (who was apparently someone in the chain of command at the restaurant). She was making her way around looking for regulars, and as it turns out new people that had never been there before, and giving them a dose of southern hospitality.

If you are ever in Atlanta, you do not want to miss a chance to eat there. It's an excellent place to eat, the atmosphere is warm, and the service is very good.

With my stepson at Georgia Tech, I know I will be back, next time I am in town.

2 comments:

Dan Zaremba said...

Now you left me salivating.
Sounds like a great place.
I'll try to visit Atlanta when I am in the US (perhaps in 2 years or so).

LA Sunset said...

There is a lot to see and do in and around Atlanta. The last time I was there, prior to last weekend, was 22 years ago. It was just a typical big city. It wasn't clean, it looked like Detroit of the south. But they cleaned it up for the 96 Olympics and it looks much better, today.