Saturday, December 06, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

(Note-This installment is for Z at Geez, who gave me the idea for this one.)

Canada has produced some outstanding rock artists over the years. Neil Young, Rush, Barenaked Ladies, and Cowboy Junkies are all groups that were founded by Canadians. I always found the Canadian sound from my era to be very much like the one from the LA scene, in the late 60s. Folksy artists like the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield came to be identified with this distinctive style and could be heard at every turn, on the LA Basin's multitude of album rock radio stations.

One such band of this era formed together, with four Canadians and an American. It captured people's ears but never really conquered the singles charts. But make no mistake here. This album-oriented quintet made no pretensions, had no flashy shows, but plenty of talent and the willingness to use it to entertain. They passed the singing duties around enough that they created a bold, versatile, and unique sound that has yet to be completely duplicated.

This weekend, PYY presents The Band.

Opening this session, this show opener is from the film The Last Waltz, which all of these songs are from. Most of you will remember this one, Up On Cripple Creek:



Off of their first album, here is one of the greatest tunes of all time, in terms of stellar musical riffs, mixed with excellent harmonious vocals. Here is one remarkable performance of another one that most of you will remember, The Weight (Take A Load Off Annie):



This next tune is quite obscure to all but those fans who know The Band. Deep from the vaults comes this one, called Stage Fright:



Their association with Bob Dylan was the turning point in their career despite the fact there was some anxiety when he asked them to tour with him. Up to that point, Dylan was a folk singer that relied heavily on an acoustic sound. But when these guys hooked up, it was the birth of electric Dylan. Here's a song performed with him and a couple of other special guests, Ringo Starr and Ron Wood. It is entitled, I Shall Be Released:



No Band tribute would ever be complete without this final tune. It was made most famous by Joan Baez, but make no mistake whatsoever, this is The Band's song through and through. No one has ever quite done it like them, nor will they ever. Here is what I believe to be their signature song of the ages, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down:



Enjoy.


Addenda:

Mustang is test-piloting his own musical series. Take a look and listen here, when you get a moment.

AC at Fore Left has his weekly musical post up, called Sidetracks. Check it out, the Dire Straits tune is outstanding.

10 comments:

L'Amerloque said...

Hi LAS !


A fantastic, somewhat unappreciated group ... much loved by connaisseurs (grin). Almost every week Amerloque plays a few tracks.


Amerloque extends his thanks ro LAS for today's BftP !


Best,
L'Amerloque

LA Sunset said...

You are most welcome, sir. Somehow, I knew this would appeal to a fellow former SoCal inhabitant.

LA Sunset said...

And to further comment on Mustang's musical post, Don't let him fool you, Mustang has good musical taste. There is hope for him that if he continues to follow the ABFTP series, his musical range will increase over time.

Don't get me wrong here, I doubt there is much chance, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin will ever do it for him. But don't let him fool you, he likes more than he lets on to.

Z said...

Well, well, well. What can I say?

I like a LOT of groups, but I've decided there isn't one that 'does it' more for me than THE BAND...not in Rock, there isn't. Lots of thoughts here....

First, thanks SO much for doing this concert blog! I've tried to thank you in a small way at my blog and hope you enjoy it.

Second...Isn't that Jonie Mitchell in I SHALL BE RELEASED? I think the guy to HER left is a singer whose name's escaping me right now, too. darn. It's on the tip of my tongue, darn it! I LOVE when bands..the best. I saw a Temptations/Four Tops concert once where they did each other's hits...And Smokey came on and sang with them at the end. Heaven!

Third...Robbie Robertson has always looked totally loaded to me and his words at the end of one of those videos really touched me...about the hard life of being in a band. Do you know he's SIXTY-FIVE now? (Don't look at the picture at Wikipedia, I warn you...I choose to remember young Robbie!).....As for his always looking loaded, now I realize why. I had no clue that HE had written most of those songs, including MY FAVORITE, THE NIGHT THEY DROVE........ Can you IMAGINE the thrill of hearing that fantastic music done by those guys? Ya, I'd look loaded, too..bliss.

NOBODY does "The Night..." like THE BAND does and one line KILLS me every time I hear it for some reason..WHY? I don't know, but it KILLS me, and that's "ya take what ya need and you leave the rest but they should never have taken the very best.." Touches me for some reason. So sad.

Well, I'm in heaven..thanks.

To L'Amerloque; I'm the nut who imposed upon you by emailing cold a few months back because you live in France. I lived in Paris for 4 years and miss it so I took the liberty of emailing you, I hope you didn't mind too much. Desolee. Say HELLO to France for me...BOY, do I miss it.

I hadn't any idea you and L'Amerloque are both from SoCal...anybody from in or around West LA? Anybody got to TAFT in the VALLEY!? (if you don't ask, you don't know, right?!)

Thanks again, Sunsett....a LOT.

LA Sunset said...

Z,

I saw Dr. John, Neil Diamond, and Neil Young all standing next to Joni at some point or another during the video. Hope that helps solve the mystery.

As for SoCal, I lived in Lancaster and San Berdoo.

Thanks for coming around and giving me the idea, I am glad you liked it. When you mentioned them last week, it was easy to know what to do this week.

Law and Order Teacher said...

Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

WooHoo!

How utterly relaxing and smooth!

Thanks for posting this, LASunsett.
Or is it Mr.Sunsett?
Or just Sunsett?

:-)

I can't believe I haven't visited before now.
I came over from Z's.
Nice to meet ya!

LA Sunset said...

Thank you LOT and Pinky. Welcome to PYY. I hope you both come back when I am in a real political rant mode.

LA Sunset said...

Oh and Pinky, it's Mr. but we are not formal here, you can call me LA.

Anonymous said...

Good taste in music here.
I saw the Band at Watkins Glen in 1973. (wow!) Time marches on inexorable.
One of the best live bands of all time.
Good music is an antidote to the ever present blues I feel today.

G Gordon Liddy
Subject citizen aztlan