Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

Continuing with the "Sounds of the Season" theme, this weekend we look at some popular Christmas songs which do not necessarily fall under the rock and roll genre.

Santa Claus is so special for kids, which always made Christmas such a magical time of year when I was young. When I became a parent, the magic returned somewhat and I was able to relive some of my days as a young boy, all over again (albeit through them).

When my kids were old enough to know the truth about Santa Claus, they would often stress the fact that they knew. When this happened, I always went with the same line which was used on me at that age. I didn't use it because it was an easy out, mind you. I used it because I believe it to be very true. That line is one of the most endearing principles I have ever internalized, which is, Santa Claus is the spirit of giving. Here is a song that is inspired by that very principle, one that someone gives to Santa:



The hype, the anticipation, all went with the Christmas season and the impending visit of that jolly old guy. Once upon a time when I was a young adult and before I had my own children, I was driving around on Christmas Eve in a neighborhood. As I looked around at the homes, I just had to wonder how many were filled with excited children. That moment took me back and left an indelible imprint on my spirit. Here are a couple of tunes that reek with a lot of that heightened sense of awareness that St. Nick's visit was nigh.

Gene Autry with Here Comes Santa Claus:



Frank Sinatra with Santa Claus Is Coming To Town:



If you have never seen the movie entitled The Polar Express and do not do anything else I recommend, I highly recommend you watch it. Adults, other than battle hardened Marines who now live in subtropical climates, will even enjoy this film. The animation is awesome, the story is even more so.

When my kids were older and before my Grandson came along, I found myself in a funk around Christmas time. We all know the true meaning of Christmas is not Santa, but this movie was one that restored some of that which I spoke of earlier in the post, which is the true meaning of Santa Claus. Here is the theme from that movie, it is sung by Josh Groban:



Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you have never seen the movie entitled The Polar Express and do not do anything else I recommend, I highly recommend you watch it. Adults, other than battle hardened Marines who now live in subtropical climates, will even enjoy this film.

[Gasp]

Why ... Marines have been protecting Santa for years, LA! Our FA-18 Hornets keep the skies clear of enemy aircraft so that he can make his trip south from the North Pole every year. Marine sentries protect Santa's workshop.

Shame on you, LA. Shame, shame, shame.