Saturday, December 13, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

Time once again for sounds of the season. This weekend, we take a look at a handful of Christmas songs with a rock and roll edge to them.

Neither one of these guys were the best of singers. But for some reason, their version of this classic ditty sounds good to me. I don't know why, but it just does. Here is Leon Redbone and Dr. John and Frosty The Snowman:



From 1958 comes this next classic. The artist is the immortal Chuck Berry and his signature Christmas tune called, Run Rudolph Run:



One of the better rock and roll Chrsitmas songs is a little tune, also from 1958, and can still be heard on a multitude of station formats. This one is Brenda Lee's Rockin Around The Christmas Tree:



This next tune was not originally intended to be a "Christmas song", it was merely intended to protest the commercialization of Christmas. But as time has gone on, it has become a staple of classic rock stations everywhere. This isn't the original video, but it's a good one and goes well with this song's intended theme. Here is Greg Lake's I Believe In Father Christmas:



As an encore, this is the only holdover from last year. The reason is simple. I like the song and the video of these two kids is fun to watch. I lost my younger brother thirty years ago and anytime I see siblings able to do something like this together, it puts a smile on my face. Although it's been many years now, I always miss him greatly this time of year. This is Elton John's Step Into Christmas:



Enjoy.


Mustang is a combination of a Scrooge and a Grinch (unless he is getting a present). His music post is up and even though it contains no sounds of the season, he has a pretty good selection to hear and I recommend taking a listen.

When AC gets his weekly feature called "Side Tracks" up later in the day, the link will go here. UPDATE: It's up and here it is.

3 comments:

Z said...

LA...these were terrific!
I'm not a big Brenda Lee fan but you can't have Christmas without that!
LOVED the Frosty rendition....so so cool. And Chuck Berry does NOTHING bad, not even close to bad...thanks!!

Greg Lake's song surprised me; not sure I'd heard it and I'm not sure it's about the meaning of Christmas or a stab at "See how Christmas does really very little for world peace or anything else?" I hope I'm wrong; maybe I should listen again. I sure did like the song and the video works well with it.
Can't write about his partner (or mine) in music because it could identify me (if anybody really wanted to FINE ME for some reason which would escape MY mind! LOL) but I'll write you an email....fun stuff.

Thanks for the Christmas music!!

I will, however, insist that, next time, you do include ME (twice) like Mustang did in HIS music weekend blog. I will very much appreciate that and, in return, promise never to tell ANYONE about the awful things he's said about you in his chronicles of your ill fated visit. MY lips are sealed...for a mention!)


LOL~!

LA Sunset said...

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth

I remember one Christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas
They sold me a Silent Night
And they told me a fairy story
'Till I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked at the sky with excited eyes
Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell
The Christmas you get you deserve

Z,

Here are the lyrics, they do sound cynical at the outset. But I think it also has an underlying message of hope, by the way he wishes all a "hopeful" Christmas. Remember that we as humans tend to see things more in the "here and now".

As Christians, we know that there will be peace on earth someday, because of His birth. But if we didn't believe it like we do, it's hard to see it now - especially with the commercialization that still exists.

This song was written in 1975, not much has changed in my view.

Z said...

Excellent lyrics..I do see your point.
I think I'm too defensive about the SLIGHTEST thing I interpret is a slam toward CHristmas or Christianity, frankly...I should be more careful. I sound like some kind of NUT.

Did I tell you about Greg Lake and 'me'? I feel like I wrote it but don't remember WHERE! Did I email you? I'm losing it!!