Wednesday, March 14, 2007

NCAA Tourney Open Thread

The teams are set and the 2007 NCAA Tournament begins Thursday. Bracket pools are springing up everywhere. The sounds of spring will soon be filled with Billy Packer's voice on TV, in commercials, and in interviews. It's near to showtime.

One of the interesting things to note? Like the BCS football title game, Ohio State and Florida have a chance to be in the final for the basketball title. If it does happen, I would say it would be a first. I know it hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Interestingly enough, I just happen to think that they are the two best teams right now. But, as always is the case, anything goes in a one and out tourney. Dreams are sometimes dashed in a split second, or over an entire game.

I remember one particular game in the 1984 tourney when a little known guy from Indiana University, Dan Dakich, held Michael Jordan to 13 points and eliminated the highly favored Tar Heels. No matter what Dan does the rest of his life, that's something he will be able to tell his grandkids about and will not change, over the passage of time. There's always a story like this, every year, which is part of the overall romance of this thing.

Anyway, I have OSU and FL in the final. Am I wrong? If so, who do you pick?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every year I watch college basketball solely to be able to do as well as possible in my Tournament bracket. And every year, I finish close to last in my pool.

This year, I watched zero college basketball and am picking teams almost at random. I can't give you good advice on who to pick.

LA Sunset said...

Greg,

With your record as you describe, I am afraid I don't need your advice. I can screw my brackets up all by myself. ;)

Anonymous said...

Indeed! I have entered 2 brackets into my group's ESPN tourney challenge, one named "perenniallaughingstock" and the other "alternateembarrassment." 'Nough said.

A.C. McCloud said...

Well folks, I'm going out on a cyber limb and saying a final of Memphis versus Florida, with FLA winning it all.

LA Sunset said...

AC

//I'm going out on a cyber limb and saying a final of Memphis versus Florida,//

This reeks of utter and contemptible bias.

;)

Unknown said...

Since I grew up in Iowa and am now a western boy, I've got UCLA beating Wisconsin and Ohio State beating Washington State to get to the game.

Ohio State takes UCLA 77-73.