Saturday, February 28, 2009

Another Blast From The Past

This week, we take a look at some silly stuff, songs or videos that might make you smile.

First up is a song and video that embodies the very word silly. It's a little tune from the 70s that got a little airplay along the way. This is one that my generation will most certainly remember. How fondly? I don't know, but here is the Jimmy Castor Bunch and Troglodyte:



The Beatles were a talent unmatched by any other musical act in my lifetime. No doubt about it (in my mind), they could have written a song about a frog hopping across the road and it would have been good. Each song took on a character and personality of its own. Most all of their original compositions were unique.

This silly little song was one that I remember as the Side B of Let It Be. It was on a jukebox at a cheap little drive-in nearby (i.e. dive), when I was but a young lad. It's not deep in lyrics, it doesn't have many different words in it. But the music changes style a few times throughout the tune. So much so, that you will not get bored. I firmly believe this one falls just a hair's width short, of a musical masterpiece for that era.

Here is You Know My Name:



Finally, this song cannot stand independent of the video.

I first saw this one, back in the 90s when it won some awards and have found it quite entertaining. It's funny. It's not something you would be expecting to see, especially in the first few seconds. I am not the biggest fan of techno/electronica. Yet, this one does work for me.

Many people may not know this tidbit (I didn't when I first saw this), but before he studied acting, Christopher Walken studied dancing. I understand the special effects aspect of the music video industry and that some of this video is just that; but under it all, this is Christopher Walken and he does show that he can bust a move.

Here is Fatboy Slim and Weapon Of Choice:



Enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me pegged right, LA. No. 3 is my favorite. Not sure I understand the context of the performance, but I never realized Walken was a dancer, even still at his age in this video. Well, I guess he can afford the Bengay.

Now the first video does, I believe, demonstrate where we are in this country today; silly does pretty much describe contemporary American society.

What can you say about the Beatles? I recall when dozens of WW II veterans turned in their medals at the time the Beatles were knighted, believing (as I do) that courage under fire doesn't mean much when a rock band can achieve a knighthood.

Of course, the crown has also knighted actors in the past, which I suppose should be equally objectionable. Maybe the difference is that David Niven was a serving officer during the war and was knighted for lifetime achievement. I ramble only to demonstrate that the Beatles were always controversial.

LA Sunset said...

Mustang,

How well I remember the controversy around the Beatles from my father, veteran of two wars. But my taste for their music is the perspective of which I speak. In their later years (Abbey Road, Let It Be, etc.) even my father had to admit they were great composers of great music.

As for the Walken video, I love it too. It helps that we have seen his work on the screen and can appreciate the diversity of his talent. One of his greatest acting performances (I think) is that of Sgt Toomey in Biloxi Blues.

Anonymous said...

LA

"The Beatles were a talent unmatched by any other musical act in my lifetime. No doubt about it (in my mind), they could have written a song about a frog hopping across the road and it would have been good."

In fact they did write a song about a frog hopping across the road.

The frog was "Michelle"

and the walrus was Paul

It's true in my opinion. The Beatles were the best.

But be careful about the "frog" comment or you may get a group of hypersensitives crawling down your throat.

PS - Ever been to Liverpool?

LA Sunset said...

//Ever been to Liverpool?//

Never been to Britain, period. Although we did fly over Wales on the way From NY to Frankfurt, once.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and he never had a tough duty station, either. Damn slacker.

Eric Cartman
SPE