Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sunday Reflection: A Call For Political Introspection

Dr. James Dobson is resigning from the organization, Focus On The Family. He is the organization, always has been. He has been a lightening rod for secular progressives, but a standard bearer to those who buy his books, listen to him speak, and spiritually follow his ministry.

The overall mission of this group has been modified and altered through the years. Whereby it may have started out as a sincere Christian Fellowship to teach families about family issues, like any other large entity that gains a large enough following, it has branched out. It has expanded its sphere of influence into the political world, and has become a sizable force within conservative political circles.

In the early stages of 2008 presidential campaign, Dobson began to communicate his views on a certain candidate. He even threatened the Republican Party with staying home on election day, if this candidate was nominated. The only reason given for this withholding of support was the man's religion. He is a Mormon.

Mormons are not considered "mainstream" by fundamentalist evangelicals, despite the family values they seek to apply to their daily lives. They are still considered a heretical religion, with many preaching the likes of them into hellfire and damnation every Sunday. Many see the fringe polygamists as what Mormonism represents, and they unfairly assign that set of values to the bulk of Mormons everywhere. So with all of this negative input, it only stands to reason that many fundamentalists are never going to support a candidate like Mitt Romney.

I had problems with him at first, but not because he was a Mormon. My reservations were on the foreign policy front, whether or not he had the experience on the international level to deal with the threats we face. I really believed that he would have made a better running mate for McCain than Palin. As a VP he could have learned more about international issues, while being the chief architect of getting the economy back into swing, the right way. And looking backward, had he been nominated for President, he certainly would have been a much better candidate than McCain. He would have been a better President than Obama.

Because Dr. Dobson carries a lot of influence in a large sector of conservatives, Mitt pulled out for lack of support, McCain did not consider Mitt as a running mate for fear that he would have lost the Christian Right support, and now we have Barack Obama screwing up the country so badly, we may not recognize it in four years. Wonderful, isn't it?

So, while many of my readers may be sorry to see Dobson step down, I am actually happy to see him go. And while I am not trying to point fingers toward my evangelical friends, I would hope that during the next four years (while watching Obama wreck this nation worse than you could ever imagine), you think about what I am saying here. Not every conservative is going to belong to a church you deem to be mainstream enough and for a leader to picked on the basis of whether or not he/she is "Christian" enough is absolutely ludicrous, as we can now see.

I am not a Mormon, never will be. I, too, have some issues with the Mormon doctrine. But many of them live better lives than me, many of them are probably in closer favor to God than I am, and I am not going to sit in judgment of them. Certainly many of them are better suited to serve in elected office than me.

When I vote, I am not looking for a pastor. I am looking for a President that will not spend this country into oblivion and open this country to a new influx of people that will seek to destroy it. I want someone that will protect my freedom, not curb it because I do not jive with mainstream thought processes.

Dobson and his followers did a good job of alienating people solely based on their personal views of theology. They flexed their political muscles, despite the fact that Christ spoke of the separation of church and state. Now, instead of Willard Mitt Romney, we have Barack Hussein Obama. And while there is no guarantee Romney would have won had be been the nominee (or on the ticket), he would have debated Obama better, ran a better campaign, and would have articulated better economic solutions on the campaign trail. He would have been a hundred times better, than this clown we have now.

So my friends, you can shout from the housetops or mutter under your breaths how I am going to hell, if that makes you feel good. I am at peace with myself and God, right now. While I am far from perfect (as Mustang will readily tell you at the drop of a hat), I must suffer under the leadership of this wretched bunch in power now (like all of us). But even at this, I am at peace knowing that I didn't cut my nose off to spite my face in this last election.



UPDATE:


Romney Wins Straw Poll.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a deeply philosophical topic, Mr. Sunset. For the sake of this discussion, please let us pretend that by staying home, evangelical Christians did not help to elect a Muslim.

Now I understand some European nations (or to use the vernacular, “States within the European Union”) require all citizens above a certain age to vote for “someone.” Of course, we know in Great Britain, one does not vote for candidates, but for party and once elected, the party will determine who among them shall raise to premier responsibility as head of government. Here, we have three choices; we can vote for dumb, vote for dumber, or not vote at all.

Do you now suggest to us that every American should vote for one candidate or the other, no matter how opposed people of conscience may be about both candidates? And if you are suggesting this, what will result among good people of deeply held principle who in all honesty think that neither candidate is good enough to earn their “vote of confidence?”

Do you now suggest that when we vote for a presidential candidate, the individual’s character being of primary concern to most voters irrespective of religious affiliation, that religious training should not enter in to this equation? For you see, it appears to me that all voters do bring their religious training to the voting booth, and cannot divorce themselves from it.

LA Sunset said...

//Do you now suggest that when we vote for a presidential candidate, the individual’s character being of primary concern to most voters irrespective of religious affiliation, that religious training should not enter in to this equation?//

As I stated in my claim, there is no guarantee that Romney would have won in this case.

But in the larger scope of things, to look at a Romney versus an Obama in ideological terms, who would YOU have rather seen win? Ask any evangelical the same question, I am not sure you'll get the same answer.

LA Sunset said...

//For you see, it appears to me that all voters do bring their religious training to the voting booth, and cannot divorce themselves from it.//

For the purposes of this discussion, I think they could. Except for picking a novice running mate that became an instant favorite with evangelicals, McCain was not exactly the first choice of Dobson of his followers, was he? Huckabee was.

They compromised their standards with McCain, how would it be any different with Romney?

LA Sunset said...

McCain was not exactly the first choice of Dobson of his followers,

should read:

McCain was not exactly the first choice of Dobson OR his followers,

Z said...

In my whole life in any Christian situation, I have never heard Muslims preached about as you describe in your post here, but some might. I just never have read OR heard anyone say anything that rotten about them!

The Mormon teachings are very particular and peculiar to themselves and not solely based on the Bible.....they have other writings they champion...FINE!! Other good Christians have every reason to be skeptical, but I just can't 'go there'...I believe that Romney would NOT have pushed Mormonism on America and we are definitely NOT voting for Pastor in Chief, you're right. I think he's a good man...and smart. I SO wish they'd consulted him on this 'stimulus' package..maybe HE could have made liberals understand removing tattoos isn't stimulating.

I'd have voted for Romney (WILLARD??! well, maybe I'd still have voted for him!) in a heartbeat. I would this afternoon, if I could (please, God!!!!!)

We must vote our consciences...what else, the heck, do we have to go on? We are 'informed' in our decisions by information (which we don't get from our media, let's face it), and our gut instincts. I'll be very happy to vote for a person with my religious beliefs but not if I don't agree with where he'd like to take America.

I'm rambling here...sorry. it's a fascinating topic.

Does it come down, then, to "God OR country" instead of "God AND COUNTRY"? Tell you the truth, I'd vote for a muslim president if I was 1000%(or better!) sure he wasn't going to ever push his religion on America...and that he had the same dream for America I have...... (which is tough to say)
I just don't know how I could ever be that reassured.

Anonymous said...

Sour grapes, Mr. Sunset... and they ain't getting any sweeter swinging from this vine.

Average American said...

There was not one person running for President from either party that I wouldn't have preferred over the asshole we ended up with! I could give a shit less what religion that person came from either. Does that explain how much I detest this guy?

Always On Watch said...

LA,
Excellent and thoughtful post. I came here on Mustang's recommendation.

I know many Christian friends and acquaintances who proclaimed with conviction and determination they'd never vote for a Mormon, and I suspect they would have stayed home had Romney been the GOP candidate. In fact, some I know did stay home or wrote in a candidate; I find that irresponsible citizenship, particularly in an election as close and of such gravity as last November's.

I tried reasoning with the aforementioned friends and acquaintances before the election as I saw that BHO was going to be the likely Dem candidate and got blown off because they thought that BHO couldn't be "that bad" or "couldn't possibly get elected." A few cited Dobson to me, but not many.

I completely agree with you that Romney would have been a hundred times better, than this clown we have now.

As for James Dobson, well, I've never been his disciple, even though I know that he's done some good work. The issue on which I most disagreed with him had nothing to do with politics, but rather education (no homework, teachers).

In fact, I've never been one to follow any leader, theological or otherwise, the way some Christians have Dobson.

As I see it, Christians shouldn't vote as a block. Instead, we Christians should make our voting decisions individually. But I've always been uncomfortable with politics from the pulpit. I don't want any church to tell me for whom I must vote to prove my faith.

Of course, Mustang is spot on when he says, all voters do bring their religious training to the voting booth, and cannot divorce themselves from it. Indeed, one reason -- and one reason only -- that I voted against BHO was my concern about his religious faith, not faith per se but rather more so because of the Moslem issue; Islam is a geopolitical system just as much as it is a faith.

Did the Christian right screw up in this election? I think so.

And you may recall that something like this happened once before -- with Jimmy Carter, who was quite the evangelical Christian or seemed so at the time (marketing?)

Always On Watch said...

I have to say one more thing....

I know of one Christian woman who stayed home on November 4 because she felt that God's judgment for America had come. She refused to vote for either candidate as she found both of them not to her spiritual liking. She thinks she has done her Christian duty and has no regrets.

I don't understand that attitude.

Anonymous said...

As regards your update, I am not a happy camper to learn that the 2012 election cycle has already begun. I know you engineered this for no other reason than to piss me off.

Believe me when I tell you: I am keeping a record of all your transgressions.

Z said...

RUHROH, LA...Mustang's keeping track!!

Always, I will NEVER understand that attitude, particularly because Scripture tells us to be good stewards. I often think of the Old Testament and how God didn't fix things for the Israelites, he didn't twang his magic twanger...PEOPLE WERE TOLD TO GO OUT THERE AND FIGHT!

THAT is the attitude!!

Always On Watch said...

Mustang,
I am not a happy camper to learn that the 2012 election cycle has already begun.

Too depressing even to think about!

Z,
Too many Christians seem to have forgotten about the concept of stewardship: "Work till I come."

LA Sunset said...

Z,

//Does it come down, then, to "God OR country" instead of "God AND COUNTRY"? //

I don't think so. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Voting for the man or woman that will keep America as free as possible so that everyone can worship as they choose, that should be the best option.

LA Sunset said...

FJ,

//they ain't getting any sweeter swinging from this vine.//

I have a feeling they will be getting more sour as days wear on.

LA Sunset said...

AA,

//Does that explain how much I detest this guy?//

Yes.

Yes, I believe it does.

LA Sunset said...

AOW,

//She thinks she has done her Christian duty and has no regrets.

I don't understand that attitude.//


Amazing. I don't understand it either. So she actually thinks that staying home will in effect facilitate God's judgment, faster? Or does she think it's useless to even make an effort, to avoid things like are happening right now?

LA Sunset said...

//RUHROH, LA...Mustang's keeping track!! //

What else is new?