Thursday, March 12, 2009

Learning From Tragedy

Like everyone else, I am shocked and stunned at the shootings that just occurred on two separate continents. Maybe not as much as people who live in those communities, but certainly more than those that have never been to either area.

You see, I was stationed not far from both shootings. I used to know both areas pretty well at one time, many years ago. So in a sense, I feel a certain kinship to those people who are grieving. I am sure they are desperately trying to cope with these tragedies. And in whatever way they possibly can, they are trying to make some small shred of sense from what is one of the most senseless acts, imaginable.

It's easy for me to sit here and say things about these incidents. One of my kids wasn't killed, so I have no real experience at what the families must be going through right now. It wasn't my kid who pulled the trigger, so I cannot even imagine what is going on in the heads of those who survive these gunmen. So, take my words for what they are worth, as, I am no expert in these matters.

But I am a parent who has raised children. Neither of them have been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and both have greatly contributed to the graying of what was once a full set of brown hair. I thank my God daily that they have never been capable of doing anything like this, nor did they ever witness or experience it. And I think it should definitely go without saying, I am doubly thankful they were never the victim of such a tragedy.

The first knee-jerk reaction will be to blame the parents of the gunmen. I think it can be a starting place to look for answers, but in the Alabama case the mother is dead. If she in any way contributed to the mental anguish (or did not), we may never know because she has paid the ultimate price with the other victims. The case in Germany may be different, but who can actually say at this point?

Neither of these kids (I know the Alabama man was 27, but at my age, he's still a kid) showed any signs of being capable of such heinous acts. At least that's the early report. Both gunmen were described as quiet and reserved. I know many quiet and shy people, this alone is not a sign that someone will snap like this. When someone is not able to express their thoughts in a setting that is non-judgmental and non-threatening, who knows what they are thinking? As a result, how does one find a red flag in this kind of case?

Many times over the years, I have tried to encourage my children to verbally express themselves. Sometimes they did, other times they didn't. But if not, I always left the door open if they changed their minds. So if there is any one thing that a parent can do, it's listen. Sure, we lecture. That's what parents do. Mine did it, I did it, and I am sure my kids will do it when it is their turn. But we also have to listen. Or they will get very good at shutting us out. As a result, they will not listen to us.

The second knee-jerk reaction will be for anti-gun advocates to cry out for stricter gun laws. In Europe, this will certainly be a major rallying cry and already has been in the hours since the tragedy occurred. To which I still say, the guns did not kill anyone. They did not just start firing on their own. Someone had to load them, aim them, and fire them. Those that are capable of this kind of thing will only find other ways to carry out the deed.

So when struggling to understand the incomprehensible, it is important to note something. We must try to understand, what made these kids want to believe this was a viable option in whatever turmoil they were experiencing. What caused them to snap? If we can learn something from this, we may be able to recognize something in the future. We might just be able to recognize the same things in others, who may have the capability of doing something like this. As time passes, we may learn more valuable information that may help us prevent something like this in the future.

But for right now, we know the best prevention is for parents to do their jobs, and one of those jobs is to listen to their children. It doesn't mean they have to give in on anything, on which they are not inclined to do so. It doesn't mean they have to ignore their better judgment. It means they listen to what the kids are saying and then, they teach them how to develop independent problem-solving skills.

Right now, there are too many parents that are not doing their jobs. While their kids may never snap like this, many will make other poor decisions down the road, as a result of the parents not taking the time to listen and teach proper coping skills. And unfortunately, many of those poor decisions may have a lasting effect on some other innocent person.


10 comments:

Tapline said...

Hello, Excellent post! I'm sure Social Scientist will pick these incidences apart and come up with the root cause or causes. As witht he shooting in Colorado a few years ago. I believe bullying was a big factor in what transpired. because I did not list the sources of another remark I made on another site recently, I will say that I attended briefings given by people who obtained the research of that incident, I believe, by the Federal Government.

Tapline said...

Let me correct a statement I made in my previous post" I believe bullying was a big factor," That was bullying in the Colorado incident not these two. As with you, I have no idea what the motives,or causes of these incidents were....

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think things will get much better in our country once government assume greater responsibility for raising our kids. Afterall, look at what a bang-up job government has done with education ...

My proof for this is, look what a fantastic job government did raising Barack Obama. Oops ... wait a minute. That was his single parent grandmother. Sorry.

LA Sunset said...

Hi Tapline,

Welcome to PYY.

One interesting thing I read was that the kid in Germany was targeting girls. That's something they will want to pursue in searching for some answers, I'm sure.

The other interesting thing I ran across was the difference in the way the police handled the immediate aftermath. They immediately raided the mother's house where the kid lived and TOOK the woman down for questioning. No time to process anything, it was we go, we go now. Big difference in the way the Polizei handle things there.

LA Sunset said...

//Actually, I think things will get much better in our country once government assume greater responsibility for raising our kids.//

Either Mustang is sundowning again, or he's being very sarcastic.

A.C. McCloud said...

But for right now, we know the best prevention is for parents to do their jobs, and one of those jobs is to listen to their children.

And no government program can force or enhance that simple action, no matter what liberals like Mustang say. As for me, my kids turned out pretty well despite my evil conservative values.

LA Sunset said...

//As for me, my kids turned out pretty well despite my evil conservative values.//

Other than that gas station job, mine did too. ;)

Anonymous said...

...no matter what liberals like Mustang say.

Yes, well ... if you'd had to watch LA perform the "I'm a little teapot" skit in the middle of Epcot Center, you'd be a liberal too.

Oh the embarrassment!

Mycos said...

You have a guy who belongs to survival clubs, was enamored with guns, tried (and failed) to become a cop and to join the military, and in virtually every respect comes off as a Tim McViegh wannabbe, and you guys don't think there is anything remarkable about him? That would explain the "guns don;'t shoot people" statement. Everyone but you it seems knows that the problem with carrying firearms or having them ready to go at a moments notice, is that it takes what used to be a bloody and mortally dangerous to oneself task, and makes it so simple that it can be done immediately with little to no danger to ones own life. THATS why guns are dangerous.
I suppose you belive crack should be available because crack doesn't smoke itself, people do! C'mon...Think! And read Dr. Altemeyers "The Authoritarians" (free Google it) to get an idea of what's happening out in the big world.

LA Sunset said...

Mycos,

//You have a guy who belongs to survival clubs, was enamored with guns, tried (and failed) to become a cop and to join the military, and in virtually every respect comes off as a Tim McViegh wannabbe, and you guys don't think there is anything remarkable about him?//

When I wrote the post, very little was known about this guy, except that he was a quiet loner. Not every survivalist, is a person waiting to snap.

And what about the German kid? I am sure he was not a survivalist. His background is significantly different.

Besides this, you don't convince me on the gun issue, based on your comment here. Guns don't pull their own triggers. You cannot dispute this fact. They just don't.

And if you think outlawing guns will stop murders, I think you are somewhat naive and do not understand human nature, very well. Doesn't make a bad person or anything, you just need to realize that criminals will not submit their guns if they are illegal. They just won't.

But most importantly your crack comparison is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Two different things, two different issues.