Saturday, April 26, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

1967 and 1968 were two rock music renaissance years that many believe were the two finest ever. Those that remember those years remember the turmoil the world was in, but in spite of it all, it was a time that spawned a wide variety of styles and influences.

The range was wide, the messages were complex, and the songs were deep (and meaningful).

One such song still sparks memories of that day and can always shake loose a memory or two. Here is Mary Hopkin and the mellow song that entertained old and young alike, Those Were The Days:



Another song that took the listener on a tour of self-reflection was a mellow little tune by The Tremeloes. The song was Silence Is Golden:



Soft and peaceful was how one can describe this next one. Call it a different kind of love song, here are The Turtles with their smash hit of that time, Happy Together:



The late 60s was best known for it's experimentation with electricity. One such band had some success with a tune that featured the whammy bar as a necessary tool in the creation of that unique sound Here are The Electric Prunes with I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night:



Instrumentation and harmony was a feature of this next tune. Here is Strawberry Alarm Clock doing their big hit called Incense And Peppermints:



When we put all of this together, there is no better song to explain why I do this segment every weekend. Not being one for a lot of self-disclosure, I must resort to these little snapshots of the music that I have liked over the years, as a means of telling about myself. This song is from Marmalade, and is titled, Reflections Of My Life:



This installment is dedicated to a good friend of PYY, who has been a bit under the weather for awhile.

Welcome back Amerloque. To you and all that listen, I say:


Enjoy.


2 comments:

A.C. McCloud said...

That Marmalade song was a good find, although I seem to recall a neat little guitar solo they left out. Still excellent, tho.

LA Sunset said...

AC,

I don't recall the solo, but that's nothing unusual when you get my age. It had been a long time since I heard this one and I actually stumbled upon it while looking for some others from that era. When I saw it, I knew instantly it belonged in this post.

Glad you enjoyed it.