Monday, June 06, 2005

A Positive Message For Europe

Many of my friends and acquaintances have been so nice to point out just how hard I can be on Europe. And as I ponder the possibility, I have to come to the conclusion that they just might be right. I have been a little hard on them. In some ways, I guess I should be ashamed of myself, because after all, I am of European heritage.

These same people also tell me I should accentuate the positive and remove all reference of negativity from my critiques of the old world. After all, if I think positive thoughts and say positive things, I will create a more harmonious balance in the realm of my existence, right?

Well, I think I will try. So here goes:

Dear Europe,

In much of my writings, I have been a little critical of you and your behavior in chastising us for our role in the War On Terror. So for a change I would like to give you some positive feedback:

Thank you.

You don' know just how appreciative I am that you kicked my ancestors out. Your petty wars, persecutions, and inquisitions were too much to bear. You saved my families from having to go through years of utterly ridiculous conflicts, all because you were warmongering spirits that always had to be the ones driving the train.

I would also like to thank you for not starting another world war in the last 60 years. That's pretty good for you. It was only 20 years or so between the last two and you have been so good for 60 now. That in itself was amazing at the time, because before the first world war, you almost regularly had some kind of armed skirmishes going on, if not in outright war.

You see, right now we are fighting something that we didn't start and we are a little tied up with it right now. In addition to the War On Terror, we have Iran, North Korea, and even China on our list of other problems to contend with.

So I hope you all understand that we don't have time to bail you out of another bloody and destructive mess, brought on by your imperialistic spirits. We certainly don't have the money to sink trillions (that's about what the tab would run, today) of dollars into rebuilding what you blew up, trying to take the other country's territory. But most importantly, we certainly do not want to help you bury millions of dead, ever again.

I'd ask you to help, but I don't want to impose too much. I understand that your little experiment (EU) isn't working out too well right now; beside that, your economies are in shambles. You also need to concentrate on the influx of Muslims that are claiming the land they acquire, as forever Muslim. And believe you me, I don't want to get into the way of that either.

No, helping us win the war on terror would be too much to ask and I won't hear of it. Putting pressure on China (to respect Taiwan and work to solve their differences diplomatically), putting pressure on North Korea (to stop acting like a spoiled attention seeking brat and kill this nuclear blackmail thing), and putting even more pressure on Iran (to not develop nukes and give them to terrorists), may stretch you a little thinner than you want, I am sure.

Besides, it really isn't your problem if a nuke from Iran passes through Europe on its way to the US, is it?. That is, unless it accidentally gets set off, right? It's okay, really, it is. I understand.

Anyway, I am glad I got to share these nice warm positive things with you, because I know just how sad some of you are, right now. And to my good friends in France, keep your chin up. That 10% unemployment rate may have to go up a little higher, before it gets better. And times may get a little tough for the government, before long. But, you'll make it. I will be cheering you on.

Stay in touch. We may be busy working, producing things, developing ideas, solutions, and creating wealth for our future (and our children's future). But be sure to write when you can and we will answer when we can, okay?

Yours Truly,

LASunsett
American

No comments: