Saturday, March 22, 2008

Another Blast From The Past

When I was but a young lad, say the name Blondie and the comic strip came to mind. But today if you utter this name in public, visual images of a new wave band featuring a sexy blond chick named Deborah Harry will come to mind.

In the late 70s, I was introduced to this band at a time when I had not yet accepted the new wave/punk genre. as a valid art form. But as I listened to my roommate blast the tunes from the Plastic Letters LP, I got hooked. They weren't nearly as obnoxious as many of the punk bands of that time and I got to hear a lot of them when I was in Europe, where they were very popular.

I found them to have a very distinct sound and influenced heavily by pop music from the late 50s and early 60s. They also were very instrumental in bringing back a dance-able form of rock and roll, after the disco period had fizzled.

Here are a few of my favorite Blondie tunes, that can be found on You Tube.

From the Plastic Letters LP, here is the live version of (I Am Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear:



Next up is a cut from the 1978 Parallel Lines release, Picture This:



Here is a three for one, Denis, Dreaming, and Union City Blue:



Also from the Parallel Lines LP comes my favorite Blondie song. Here is Sunday Girl:



As an added bonus, here a tune that Deborah Harry released solo, after the band broke up. It's called, I Want That Man:



Enjoy.

No comments: