Saturday, July 23, 2005

Sarkozky Starting To Sound Like A Breath Of Fresh Air For France

Click the title for an interesting article at www.foreignpolicy.com on the man who wants to be France's next President, Nicolas Sarkozky.And I don't mind saying that I am starting to like this guy, more and more everyday.

Nicolas Sarkozy has become the most popular French politician by diving headfirst into the country’s most explosive political issues. If he has his way, this hyperactive, pro-American, Gaullist, free marketer will transform French politics for good.

And not a moment too soon.

Although he is careful to stress that he does not see eye-to-eye with President Bush on many issues, he is unabashedly pro-American. “I like America and the Americans a lot and I say it. Do I need help, doctor?” he quips, raising his eyebrows. “Some of my friends tell me not to talk about it so [loudly]. Why? I don’t get it.”


Which is as it should be. Not all allies are going to agree with each other on every issue, 100 percent of the time. But as Mr. Sarkozky has realized, to throw the baby out with the bathwater, is a useless tactic that makes no sense.

We need a working relationship with our allies, not a power stuggle every time one does not get its way.

HT: eu-serf

1 comment:

Esther said...

He does sound interesting. Thanks for pointing him out. :)