Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Chemist Knew UK Terrorists

Here is the part of the story as told by the IHT. (Click on the title for the complete article.)

An Egyptian biochemist released Tuesday after being questioned over the July 7 bombings in London said that he knew two of the bombers and allowed one to stay at his apartment in Leeds, England, but said that he was wrongly suspected of involvement.

An Egyptian security official earlier Tuesday said Magdy Mahmoud Mustafa el-Nashar had been released after investigations proved he was not linked to the July 7 bombings.

I would be interested to see tapes of the interrogations, but conveniently, there probably are none.

Forgive for being skeptical, but I have a hard time believing that he knew these people and had no inkling (whatsoever), they were planning to blow stuff up. But I guess I should be more trusting, right?

I shouldn't let my perceived predjudices get in the way of my basic human desire to believe in my fellow man, free from suspicion. I should not worry because I am sure that the Egyptian authorities looked at every possible angle, asked every possible question, and scrutinized his story with robust vigor.

If nothing else, that's a good fish story for the tavern.

2 comments:

_H_ said...

from where i stand i think your on the right lines ..

there must be a reason

maybe the intelligence agencies have a use for him

what i mean is this may not be a simple as it first seems

Always On Watch said...

LA,
I have no faith in the Egyptian authorities. The only way the chemist would be thoroughly investigated is if Muhbarak thought the chemist threatened M's power in office.

To make matters worse, some of the investigators may be subversives themselves. My American friend in Saudi says that last year's residential bombings were an inside job; the gates were opened, from the inside.

Many in the Middle East are secret Islamists.